Salted Duck

• What is Salted Duck?

Salted duck is a famous specialty of Nanjing. It belongs to Nanjing cuisine. It is one of the representatives of Nanjing cuisine. It is also called sweet-scented osmanthus duck. Nanjing salted duck has a long history and has accumulated rich production experience. The salted duck skin white meat is tender, fat but not greasy, fragrant delicious, and with fragrant, crisp, tender characteristics. Before and after the mid-autumn Festival, Osmanthus in full bloom season production of salted duck color tastes the best, known as Osmanthus Duck. On September 10, 2018, “Nanjing Salted Duck” was named one of the top ten classic dishes in Jiangsu province.

• History

Nanjing to the famous duck dishes in the sea has always been known as the “duck capital” laudatory name. The number of its duck dishes, duck-eating people of the masses, can be said to be among China’s most. According to the “Chen”, Chen and the Northern Qi army clashed on the northern outskirts of Nanjing near Zhoushan. Chen’s “cooking duck with rice” made morale soar, and finally defeated the masses with less, and came home a winner. It was first recorded in official history as a duck dinner in Nanjing. In the latest early Ming dynasty, the southern salted duck has enjoyed a good reputation and has been famous. Ming dynasty has the ballad: “Ancient Academy, Liuli section, Xuanduanzi, salted duck”. The ancient academy refers to the largest state university at that time-the Guozijian; the Liuli section refers to the Porcelain Tower of Nanjing, which was called the miracle of the world at that time; and the Xuanduanzi refers to the famous Nanjing specialty, Xuanjin forging. Nanjing people eat a lot of varieties of duck, the Six Dynasties emperors have the table roast duck and saltwater duck and a few dishes.

4 Comments Add yours

1. Lauren Strauss says:

I’m going to be honest- this looks dangerous to eat. somehow it doesn’t look cooked at all?

2. Dan O'Reilley says:

That looks really interesting

3. sophiegrieser says:

The history of the dish is very interesting, but I don’t think I could bring myself to try it. I’m a picky eater as it is, and the look of the meat is unique.

4. Michael Zawicki says:

I have never tried duck but I have always wanted to. Just not sure the right dish I should try it with.