No matter how big or small of a space, everyone wants to feel at home when they come back at the end of a long day. From the kitchen to bedroom and every other space in between, it’s important to build a sense of home. However, what feels like home is different for everyone. Some people like their space to be minimal and everything to be in its place. Some people like to be greeted with bright splashes of color everywhere they look. Honestly, in some cases, some people like to switch it up every couple of months for something new. While it may be difficult to afford and switch out a new couch or table every couple months, there are smaller and more affordable options to make your space feel like home. Being a college student means an already smaller budget, so finding the small things that are easy to switch out while still making a statement are critical. Most college spaces and apartments are small, whether you’re sharing common spaces with roommates or a bedroom with one or more. Making your space feel like yours in the smallest of ways can help with the stress of classes, work and life in general at the end of the day. Here’s a few smaller items and spaces that are easy to switch out but are just as easy to personalize.

Hanging Racks (and photos)

Photos are always a great and easy option to switch things up, because it’s cheap and easy. However, an underutilized design element is your clothing. If anyone lives in a space like me, my small closet is not enough room for all of my clothes. To help this, I purchased a free standing clothing rack that sits by my bed. With it being in my sight so frequently, when I want a change in my space, I switch it up. Most people won’t even notice it. But unconsciously seeing this collection of clothes everyday has a definite effect on the room. People buy clothing that they like, so why not show it off when you’re not wearing it?

Bedding and Blankets

Maybe a little bit more obvious, especially in the colder months, but people love their warm and cozy blankets. Especially in Wisconsin, everyone has a surplus of them waiting in winter. But again, unconsciously from the amount we see our bed and spend our time in it, it’s important to make that space reflect you. Everyone wants to feel at home and a big portion of it is where you choose to sleep. There doesn’t need to be a huge change every so often, bedding can be expensive. But stores like Target, Walmart and Amazon have cheap throw blankets and pillows can go on your bed, couch, over the back of a chair, practically everywhere. When you’re in need of new color, blankets and pillows are the way to go.

Plants

It will come as a shock to no one that I like my plants. They bring life and greenery into my beige walls and carpeted apartment. Of course, some people do not like the maintenance that goes into them. Keeping something else alive when you have an already busy schedule can be troublesome. But for those people, I recommend instead of going to the local greenhouse to head to Michaels and check out their faux plant section. Greenery don’t always have to be living, a good fake plant can still give the illusion and feeling if you aren’t up for caring for anything else. It’s relatively cheap and doesn’t require a lot of thought or work behind it.