Mistakes is a harsh word. I acknowledge that everyone has and is entitled to their own sense of personal style. However I think most of us can agree on some components of the “traditional” college dorm or apartment trends that are a bit outdated or should go out in the communal recycling outside. If any of these items are in your current space, I do apologize. As I said, everyone can choose what they want to do with their own space. But these are some of my least favorite items/ setups found in college spaces. Don’t worry, I’m guilty of a vast majority of these in the past.

Tapestries

One of these took up the entire living room wall in my sophomore year apartment. It was a picture of a beach. When I tell you I’d rather the wall have been blank, it’s true. Every other week one corner of it would fall from the wall, leading my roommates to climb up the couch to try and tape it back up. That would in turn lead to one end being higher than the other, one side being more stretched out, one section being more wrinkled than the other, a whole plethora of annoyance. A much easier solution would be hanging up posters or graphic art to fill up the blank walls.

Bed Lofts

In theory, lofting your bed is a great idea with a roommate. It gives your side of the room more space and room to hang out in. Key word is in theory. My freshman year my roommate and I agreed to both loft our beds to save space for both of us. Until I realized that nothing could fit under my bed without me hitting my head on it. Save your money, save your head from hitting it on the very close ceiling and save yourself from the mini heart attack when climbing in and out of it when you think “maybe this the day I fall out”.

Lighting (or rather lack thereof)

Hear me out. I know a lot of people are coming around to disliking LED light strips around the corners of every dorm room. Personally, it’s not for me, but I do see an obvious benefit. The overhead lighting in any college place, whether it’s a dorm, apartment or house will be terrible. Either there won’t be any overhead lighting or it will be bright white and make you feel like you live in a hospital. While it may seem obvious, bringing any alternative form of lighting, whether it is the infamous LED lights, string lights, a clip on desk light, anything helps the space feel less clinical.