How to fix your golf swing

In today’s world there are hundreds and hundreds of resources to help fix your golf swing. From Youtube, to golf websites, to PGA professionals. The only thing I have found that is holding people back is themselves.

The golf swing has many different components, but can be simplified by breaking it down. I will go over with you the main points in the golf swing and how to fix bad habits.

First, the set up. Depending on what iron you are hitting will determine where the ball should be positioned. But for most cases, directly in the middle of your feet will do fine. Now that you have the ball in the right spot you must determine how far away you are from the ball. You should stand to where you arms just hang down naturally. You aren’t pushing them forward or pulling them in. Then, whenever you find that spot position your feet and hinge at the hips.

Second, the take back. After you have gotten into the right set up the first thing you do is obviously take the club back. For most beginners, the best take back is to make sure the club head goes directly backwards. What I like to do is place a second ball right behind the club head. Then, take something you can lay on the ground about 10 inches behind it. In your take back the second ball should roll directly into whatever it is you put on the ground. This shows you that you are taking the club back completely straight.

Lastly, the down swing. So far, you have the right set up, the right take back, and now the club should be at the top of its arch. An important thing to keep in mind is to only take back the club as far as you can rotate your shoulders. Over doing this step will lead to mishits and poor contact. Once you are at the top you want to imagine the club swinging from in to out. Imagine you are cutting down a tree with an axe. Do that kind of swing just tilted towards the ball.

The most important thing I have learned since I started golf was this:

“Swinging harder doesn’t mean you are hitting better. I have played with some guys in their 80’s and yeah I can hit it 50 yards further than them, but when they hit their balls it lands in the same spot, and the same distance every time. And guess what they beat me by 10 strokes every round.”

-Unnamed guy at the driving range

One thought on “How to fix your golf swing”

1. I really liked this blog post. I don’t know much about golf but I feel like you talk about it really well for those who don’t understand. I also liked how you included a quote to prove your point as well. Good job!