Skip the Line Passes: Are they Worth it?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I apologize for the late post again.  There has been some difficulty when it comes to scheduling posts, but I think I’ve got it figured out.

As you may already know if you’ve visited a theme park on a busy day, the lines can get very long.  These long waits ultimately result in being able to ride less rides in a day.  To solve this problem, many parks have implemented a “skip the line” pass.  For an additional cost, this system holds your place in line and allows expedited boarding on some of the most popular rides.  But, are they worth it?

My answer: It depends on what you want to get out of it.  If you’re visiting the park for just a day and won’t be back anytime soon, I would definitely recommend to if you have the money to invest.  However, keep in mind that these passes are non-refundable, so if it begins to rain and the park clears out, or the park doesn’t end up being as busy as you thought, you will not be able to get your money back.

I know Six Flags (and I believe Cedar Fair) parks have implemented an all-season skip the line pass.  The same case applies for those, but in a much different manner.  If you’re planning on visiting 4-5 times in the year, and during busy points in the season, the pass is without a doubt worth the investment.

Most parks that have this system require an upcharge for the system, but parks such as Disney Parks typically will include some sort of skip the line system with certain admission plans.  Additionally, some theme parks that have a hotel on property (such as Dollywood) will include skip the line passes with your hotel reservation.

In the end, it comes down to the amount of visits you have to a park, how much you’re willing to invest, and the crowds on the day you want to purchase.  Skip the line passes are highly beneficial, but the investment needs to be worth it.  If you visit a park over 5 times a year and never have an issue with lines, perhaps investing in this pass is not the best idea.