Let’s meet Erin! She is an RA on 2nd floor Wells East and this is her 4th semester as an RA. Her major is elementary education with a minor in math education.

12651193_10156523080490422_3617741486849152468_n

Favorite Sport: My favorite sport to watch is football. My favorite sport to play would have to probably be volleyball or softball.

Favorite Sports team: Green Bay Packers/Chicago Cubs

Favorite Band: I don’t really have a favorite Band, but I absolutely LOVE country music. I can’t just pick one favorite artists, because I like way too many of them.

Favorite Dining Hall: Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!! (I know technically it is not a dining hall, but I just really love pasta.)

Dream job: Middle School Mathematics Teacher

What I see myself doing in five years: Hopefully in 5 years I will have very own classroom, residing in a small town, living out all of my dreams. I hope to one day have a family, house, and a steady career. Most importantly, in 5 years, I just hope to be happy with life in general. J

Favorite Quote: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Why did you become an RA?: I became an RA because I genuinely love being around people. Because I am an extrovert, I love being able to interact with others. This job allows me to do that every day. I also love being able to help people and make an impact in their lives. As an RA you are constantly helping others and are such an influential piece of their college experience. I love being a part of something big on campus and helping change people’s lives.

What is your favorite thing about being an RA?: I know this is such a cliché answer, but my favorite thing about being an RA is, hands down, my residents. For the past 2 years as an RA, I have made some of the best friendships through this position. I have been able to watch each and every one of my residents grow into the independent, young adults that they are today. I get a sense of pride whenever they accomplish something, and getting to have a part in it is just an amazing feeling.

What else are you involved in?: Here at UW-Whitewater I am involved in a variety of organizations. I am a member Kappa Delta Pi, which is the international honor society of education. I also am a member and serve on the E-Board of Jitters Coffee Lounge as the Volunteer Coordinator. Also, recently I became a member of the E-Board for the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), where I get to be a member of the assembly for the Residence Hall Association (RHA). I also love participating in Intramural Sports!

Piece of advice for other RA’s: Being an RA is not that easy and is a lot of work. You are going to have multiple meetings, deadlines, and various requirements that are associated with having this position. However, to me, the most important thing you can do as an RA is be there for your residents. Keep your door open, say “Hi” to them whenever you see them, ask them about their day, and truly get to know them individually. Once you are not an RA anymore, you are not going to remember if you got all the paperwork turned in on time, but rather what type of connections you made with the people living with you on your floor and in your building.

Best story so far: To narrow down my experiences as an RA to the “best” story would be way too hard. I have had so many good, bad, funny, interesting, disgusting, etc. experiences while being an RA. Each one of them taught me more about myself and I wouldn’t want to trade them for the world.