We all deal with distractions on a daily, whether it be at work, school, or somewhere else. Some days it can just be really hard to focus. Here are some ideas to help deal with distractions to be more productive.
- Limit time spent on a task/assignment
- Set a specific amount of time to spend on a task or assignment. It leaves less room for distractions if you only have a certain amount of time because you are trying to be focused that whole time to get it done. If you spend an excessive amount of time trying to get one thing done, your mind is bound to wander, and you will not be putting in your best effort. Work harder, not longer.
- Take a break or move on to something else
- If you catch yourself getting distracted multiple times in a short amount of time while working on the same task, it may be time to take a break. It could also be beneficial to move on to something else because your mind might be fighting boredom, and your work may not have been engaging enough for your full attention.
- Have a plan the day before
- Set a couple of goals that you have for the day the night before. Doing this will help you stay focused and be more motivated to complete the goals that you set for yourself. If you write them down, you are even more likely to achieve them because you have made it a priority. It will also make you feel more productive, which can help you complete other tasks throughout the day. I know that when I have achieved multiple goals for the day, I feel motivated to keep going, whereas if I have not achieved anything for the day, I am not motivated to start or finish any tasks.