The Irvin L Young Memorial Library, Whitewater’s public library (431 W Center St), is providing some fun and free summer events! No registration required. Mark your calendars:
- Thurs., June 7, 6-7:30pm: State of Craft Beer – Matt Janzen, author of State of Craft Beer, will talk about his two years of research on Wisconsin breweries. Copies of the book will be available for sale. After the presentation, attendees (of legal drinking age, of course) may join him for some locally-brewed beer at Second Salem Brewing Company (111 W Whitewater St).
- Mon, June 11, 4-6pm: “Bob Ross Night” – The library will provide painting supplies (limited, available until they run out!) for painting along with Bob. If you don’t know who Bob Ross was, see Wikipedia or read more information about him below.
- Tues, June 19, at 6pm: Rick & Rise of Mourning Dayze – musical performance (Copies of the book Mourning Dayze: A Wisconsin Garage Band will be available for sale; Andersen Library has a copy in Special Collections, 1st floor, at ML3534.3 .P6)
- Sun, June 24, 10am-2pm: Whitewater Food Truck Festival – Purchase food from a variety of local food truck vendors to please your palate and help raise funds for the public library!
- Tues, June 26, at 4pm: The Dark Web: What You Should Know – Rose Trupiano, Research and Instructional service librarian at Marquette University will tell you all about it.
You may be able to learn more if you’d like!
Interested in more information about breweries? Andersen Library has books such as Breweries of Wisconsin by Jerry Apps (2nd ed., from 2005, in 1st-floor Special Collections, at TP573.U6 A66 2005; or preview some text via Google Books) and A spirited history of Milwaukee brews & booze (3rd-floor Main Collection, at HD9397 .U53 M554 2011; preview some text via Google Books). Travel Wisconsin.com offers suggested stops to “Tour Wisconsin’s Craft Breweries,” a searchable directory to plan your own brewery tour, and a page of “Sconnie Brews: 5 Beers with Wisconsin-Inspired Names” (which includes Second Salem in Whitewater).
Inspired to try your hand at painting? UW-Whitewater students and employees may obtain a copy of the book Happy clouds, happy trees: The Bob Ross phenomenon from another UW campus library by using the free UW Request service (requested items arrive in 2-5 weekdays), or preview some text via Google Books. There also is a YouTube channel for The Joy of Painting episodes from PBS. Especially check out Season 1, Episode 1 because it goes over the equipment to be used. If the session at the public library is full, you can use the YouTube videos of all 403 episodes (31 seasons) to paint along with Bob anytime! Also see the Bob Ross website for more information about painting supplies.
These examples are just the tip of the iceberg! If you’d like assistance with finding additional information, please ask a librarian (choose chat or email, phone 262-472-1032, or ask to see a reference librarian in Andersen Library).