MENTAL, RELATIONSHIPS

Ways to Keep A Healthy Relationship

Relationships are a staple in life. We have some sort of connection with everyone. Whether it be our family, friends, coworkers, or significant others, we need to know what we can do to keep our relationship healthy. For each relationship, the answer is going to be a little different. Below we will look at what we can implement into our relationships to ensure they will not only last long but be healthy, too. 

Check-in on them

A few weeks ago I talked about the importance of staying connected with your friends. It seems like it has become natural to drift apart from your best friend at some point. Why? Well, you graduate, get jobs, move apart, get into a relationship, or become closer with other people. You don’t have to stay best friends, but make the effort to keep in touch with them. This helps maintain a healthy relationship because it shows that you care for each other and, may also allow you to get some things off your chest. 

Spend time together without technology

This tip goes for all relationships. Social media has become increasingly popular over the past few years. We have become self-reliant on them because they provide us with so many things just at the tip of our fingers. However, these pride and joys can also be a big distraction to everything around us. Instead of scrolling through social media and snapchatting other friends, why don’t you be present and talk to the people right around you? Whether you’re with your partner or a group of friends, be present! This is especially important with family. You will regret spending time on your phone instead of spending time with them. 

Tell them your proud

Even if it is for the littlest thing, let them know. A little boost of confidence like that will go a long way. Doesn’t it make you happy when someone shows or brags about how much they appreciate you? Give that feeling to all your friends. You don’t have to do it all over social media and do it for your own attention but, you could send them a text at night saying you’re proud of everything they accomplished today. Do you actually know what they all accomplished today? No, and they may not even know how much they did. Texts of affirmation are a good way of keeping relationships strong. 

I’m not perfect, but I try my best to do these things in my closest relationships. It does feel like it keeps the relationship healthy, especially remembering to stay off my phone while I’m with them. I seem to be more aware of our surroundings and less distracted in our conversations. If you’re interested in reading more about how you can keep your friendships healthy, click here. This is an article I found written by Lisa Firestone, a clinical psychologist. Did this help you realize you do these things and never recognized them, or are you going to start doing some of these tips?

3 thoughts on “Ways to Keep A Healthy Relationship”

1. I love this! I noticed since college started and my best friend is in Ames, Iowa it sucks not seeing or hearing from them everyday like high school. We text a lot we both live very busy I guess lives. Checking in is very important I have seen a lot of people since high school struggle a lot mentally in college and It’s always nice to reach out and just talk to them.

2. I think that you cover a lot of important parts of maintaining a healthy relationship. I definitely have grown apart from a lot of the closest people in my life and I think that a lot of the things mentioned in this post would help. In my opinion, I would say that interacting without technology is a big part. Its easy to just text or snapchat people but nothing really compares to hanging out in person.