PHYSICAL

5 Best At-Home Workouts

There are a lot of reasons why I prefer not to go to the gym: it feels like everyone is staring at me, I never know what to do, I’m too busy, and the gym is always busy. Over the summer when I when the coronavirus helped my efforts in avoiding the gym, I found some great YouTubers to help me keep in shape at home. There are a few things I like about working out at home, versus the gym:

• No one is staring at me
  • There are no dress codes
  • I don’t have to travel the extra distance to the gym
  • I have an instructor to follow

YouTube is a great place to find any kind of workout you’re looking for. You can search for workouts by duration, targeted areas, equipment, and style. Over the summer I learned that I enjoy doing multiple shorter workouts that target different parts of my body. Here are 10 of the best at-home workouts that I found to enjoy over the summer.

1. Get Abs in 2 WEEKS | Abs Workout Challenge This ab workout by Chloe Ting is part of a two-week shred challenge that she created. The workout is only 11 minutes long and is included every day in her challenge. I did not start the challenge but this is my go-to workout finisher.
  2. 30 Min LEGS AND GLUTES WORKOUT at Home This workout is lead by one of my favorite YouTubers, Caroline Girvan. I purchased some ankle weights to add some resistance and strength training to my workout routines. The workout is split into three different parts that each target a different part of your legs and glutes. Even if you don’t have ankle weights you could still do this workout!
  3. 30 Minute FAT BURNING Cardio and Abs Workout Over the summer I found another favorite trainer to follow, Sydney Cummings. I haven’t looked into any of her strength training videos, but I love her cardio and HIIT workouts. The ones I find are only 30 minutes and, her energy and encouragement are a lot of fun to follow.
  4. 15 MIN DANCE PARTY WORKOUT – Ariana Grande Dancing and a workout out all in one. I follow MadFit for her strength training and her dance workouts. They are usually 15 minutes but, they don’t even feel like you’re working out. You’re dancing around but burning calories at the same time!
  5. 30 Min FULL BODY DUMBBELL WORKOUT at Home To finish out my top five workouts, I am going to include another video from Caroline. When I got my ankle weights, I also went to a play it again sports to buy some cheaper dumbbells. You don’t have to use dumbbells. You could also use soup cans or bottles of water because any bit of resistance helps.

We always say we don’t have time to go to the gym, so let’s cut that excuse by doing our workouts at home. I’m glad I found these great YouTubers to follow along with and I feel a lot more comfortable doing workouts from the comfort of my home. The longest workout that I listed is only 30 minutes. I’m sure everyone can find 30 minutes in their day to follow a workout. There is no planning needed. Just search for no equipment or dumbbell only workouts and press play on one! The more you do, the more you will learn which instructors and styles you like. What body part would you like to start targeting more?

4 thoughts on “5 Best At-Home Workouts”

1. Thanks for the recommendations! I have to try Youtube workouts more often; I think I’ll enjoy the dance one the best.

2. When COVID hit last year this was such a problem with many people. It’s easy to map out a basic gym plan throughout a week when you’re at a gym full of equipment. Though when gym’s started shutting down, like the links you have, many had to look up ways to keep up with exercise without a gym. I really enjoyed this weeks blog!

3. Hi Kelsey,

This blog is a great idea. Ever since covid has started a lot of people have had problems working out. These ideas for working out are great, and I really enjoyed your exercises. I cannot explain how long it has been since I have been in the gym.

4. I also do not like to go to the gym because due to fear of being judged, I love at home workouts. Thank you for sharing these.