Lessons,  Story Time

Do something big that terrifies you.

I was very active in the volunteering community when I was in high school and the early parts of my college career. When I got my first job at the television station however, I had to give up my free time to focus on my portfolio and my job. I told myself I needed to take a new road and begin a journey separate from my life norm. I wanted to find a way to service my soul, while servicing others.

My father approached me the Summer after my first year of college; he said he wanted to go to a father/daughter weekend. I was a bit scared seeing as I knew it would be something where I would have to open up and be vulnerable. The first year was a success so we decided that a second year was a must.

During our first experience, I had called out some inappropriate behavior from the female lead of the program. I felt that she was being in-genuine and out of respect for the little girls, I reported the issue. Later that summer, I received a call from the male lead. I was the oldest girl in the program and he wanted me to assume the, now vacant, female leadership role. This meant I would be in charge of 30+ girls the whole weekend, every year, taking over the position I had just contributed to someone losing. I was terrified. This was a big responsibility, but because I was terrified, I dove in head-first.

Father Daughter Weekend 2018

I have been the female lead of the Midwest Father Daughter Weekend for two years now. I would never change a thing. Taking this leap has taught me that I can achieve and do ANYTHING if I put my mind to it. Not only has this experience done a lot for me as a woman in life, but as a professional.

The experience has taught me that doing something that scares you is a beautiful thing. That taking chances can lead to big success and to never doubt my own ability to take on my own fears. In life, in business, in love you have to be a warrior to make change.