Lessons

Lesson #2: Fake it ’til You Make it

When you first start looking to build your freelance portfolio, finding clientele can seem daunting. Between your amateur status, lack of prior work, and close competition, the odds seem entirely against you. I am here to tell you, as a time tested witness, that the best thing you can do for yourself is fake it ’til you make it.

Now, I don’t mean this is in the sense of lying about your abilities and skill set to acquire the “gig,” but in the sense of acting like nothing is new. What you are “faking” here is your confidence because I guarantee your first gig will be your scariest for quite a while.

Your goal is to sell the client on your professionalism; you want them to feel comfortable in knowing that you were the right “man” for the job. If you put off that you are nervous or don’t feel like you’re “good” enough, the client is going to feel it and you’ll have already started lower in their expectations.

One of my favorite episodes, but ughhhh the microphone chord.

My first client piece was done pro bono. The client offered me the opportunity to spread mt creativity on his platform in exchange for my skill set at a free-rate. I was tasked with the production of a mini-doc series titled “The Rockford Art Monologues.” The monologues highlighted area artists and their passion behind the paint brush.

I had experience in documentary video and video production through school, but this was my first big “break” as a freelance video producer. The monologues helped me learn from my own mistakes and think on my feet. I wouldn’t have even been thought of for the opportunity unless I had put my name out there with confidence like I did.

There are many things about “The Rockford Art Monologues” that I look back on now and wish I could change. Since the creation of those videos I have grown and matured and bettered significantly in my craft. This experience is where I began, but I would never change it for the world.

Still learning and growing, but much more refined! (Don’t mind the commercial breaks)

Go and take the leap. Fake it ’til your confidence comes with ease and push yourself out of your comfort zone! Let me know how it goes!