Advice

5 Tips to Survive Networking

Everyone knows where you end up in your career has a lot to do with who you know, but what you know is what keeps you there. What does a person have to do to know people? Well, many people say it starts with your portfolio, or your web presence, or your what people say. I believe it’s all about putting yourself out there and taking the opportunity to shake as many hands as possible. So, I am here to give you the five tips that keep me motivated in the networking environment

Networking: the action or process of interacting with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts.

1. Be the first to say hello

I find that being the first person take LOADS of pressure off. That may seem counter-intuitive, but there is a method to the madness.

Think about it, sitting in the corner of the room and waiting for someone to pick you is TERRIFYING. By adding a little bit of confidence and gusto, you eliminate that awkward wait and demonstrate impressive poise in front of whomever you choose.

No wait, a great first impression, and a new contact… BINGO!

2. Take breaks

Networking events tend to last all day, so pacing yourself is key. Take water breaks, snack breaks, or take a break to write notes! If you take a moment to refresh, you’ll be on top of your game and the best you can be for those you’re networking with!

3. Plan who you want to talk to first (if you can)

Sometimes you get lucky enough to have a line-up of those who will be in attendance before hand. Every time I have experienced this format, I have made notes next to those who intrigue me most. This way, you can do your research and impress them with your dedication to building the connection and plan out what you want to know and ask!

4. Cards,cards, cards

This is an easy one, BRING BUSINESS CARDS! Leave them with a piece of you and consider writing a note on it for them to remember what you talked about.

5. Be YOURSELF!

Don’t oversell, don’t undersell, just relax and be yourself. Begin the relationship by allowing them to feed off of your own energy, not a facade.