If you ever run into problems accessing the Library’s resources from off-campus (or on the wireless network on campus) you may want to try using a virtual machine that you can run from within your own computer. By logging into a virtual desktop, you are, for all practical purposes, working on a hard-wired desktop on campus.
Here are the basic instructions for the light version to get you started. You can also view/download a PDF with ICIT’s more detailed instructions for installing the software on your own laptop or desktop.
- Go to http://gateway.uww.edu
- Login using your NetID and password
- Select the link Use Light Version
- Select Desktops from the menu bar at the top of the page
- Select General Access Desk
- Wait until the virtual machine loads within your browser
- On the Windows Desktop that now appears within your browser, select whichever internet browser you want to use (Chrome or Firefox)
- Go to the Library’s homepage and begin your research
- When you are finished with your session, log out of the virtual desktop as if you were on a normal, campus desktop (the browser tab with the desktop will disappear after the virtual machine logs off)
- Exit out of the Citrix web-app by selecting your username in the upper right corner and logging off
You now have on-campus access to everything that the Library has to offer. This should help resolve any off-campus access issues.