Improving Mental Health

Look good, Feel good

The saying “Look good, feel good” is one I have heard quite a few times in my life. The idea behind the quote is that taking time to look good on the outside will help you feel good on the inside. Perhaps that sounds a tad vain, but there is a valid point behind it.When you put on your favorite shirt or maybe your brand new shoes you get a small boost of confidence. Perhaps you stand a little taller, you feel more at ease with your appearance.

There are times when I’ve feel kinda down and I just don’t feel like looking my normal self. I usually like being relatively stylish. I’ve always had an interest in fashion and makeup, so when I’m not feeling myself I tend to just throw on some sweatpants, hoodie, throw my hair in a bun, and not really put any makeup on. That’s usual for me, but sometimes that’s all I feel like doing when I just feel overwhelmed or stressed or depressed. Maybe you get this way as well. And if I have to go out on these days were I just don’t try I tend to feel self-concious, which just makes me feel worse.For some maybe your usual is sweatpants and a hoodie, that’s perfectly fine! Rock whatever makes you feel fantastic!

I decided to give this little idea a try. If when I was down and I forced myself to try to aim for my usual style or even maybe a tad more fancy than usual, would I feel better?Here’s what I found.I am a person who likes to go shopping, I’ll be honest, I really like shopping. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s mine. So I go out, a buy myself something I think is cute. I got this cute windbreaker. It’s fashionable, yet sensible since where I live, we are heading into Spring.

I got myself a cute shirt, got some cute pants, and I put them on. It wasn’t anything all too stylish but I thought I looked cute. I got a new pair of sneakers that were on sale.Over the spring break I went to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I had wanted to go there for a while and convinced a friend of mine to come with. We took a train down and had a day in the city. Now during my spring break I felt a little down. I was coped up at home, doing chores my family gave me. (Anyone else in college have their family just heave all the chores onto them when they come home?). I see on social media friends of mine out having fun, going places, chilling with their friends. I’m at home in sweat pants.So the cute windbreaker and shoes where perfect to wear on my trip to Chicago. I curled my hair, put some light makeup on, I felt pretty cute. That day I felt pretty good, I didn’t feel down and out of it. I went to the Shedd, saw some fish, ate some dippin dots, hung out with my friend. It was good.

Now maybe it wasn’t the clothes that necessarily held all the power, cause it was the one day I got to go out and be in the sun.So I tried it again. Just around the house. Cute pair of jeans, cute sweater, hair curled, and put a little makeup on. I wasn’t going anywhere special, just hanging around the house, and running a few errands. I did feel a perkier than I had the few days before.

Maybe this is a technique that doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone.

This is by no means a long term solution to feeling down and out of it. But perhaps it will give you a little boost on some days. If you have test/presentation on that day or maybe your seeing someone special or maybe you are going somewhere new or maybe you don’t have anything going on at all. Give it a try. See if maybe uping your appearance making yourself look good (by your own standards, don’t let anyone tell you how you should look! Look good for yourself!) gives you the good positive energy you need to make that day a little bit better!