Mental Health Information

The Sun Is Your Friend

The sun is at the core of our survival here on planet Earth. We physically couldn’t live if the sun did not exsist. The sun keeps us alive but it can do so much more than just light up and heat our planet. It can help make us happy too. The sun gives off Vitamin D. Most Vitamin D comes from the Sun or a handful of different foods. Why’s that important?

Vitamin D is produced in the body as a response to sunlight exposure. It helps with immune systems, bone health, as well as intestinal health. That’s all good and well but how does the sun help us other than Vitamin D?

On an individual level it can actually help effect someone’s mood.

S.A.D is seasonal affective disorder.

And it’s a very real thing.

S.A.D is a temporary depression that happens at the same time every year. That’s a very short compound definition of what it is, but it can be much more complex than that, but I won’t get too much into it. Essentially what you need to know is that the weather can affect the way we act, specifically the seasons.

I myself believe I’m affected by this. I would say I’m affected mildly common it’s possible that you are affected too. And S.A.D. tends to be self diagnosable.

I myself find that during times of winter and coldness I tend to just feel not awake, if that makes sense at all. I tend to feel naturally sluggish, less productive, and tend to lose my drive.

Recently, there’s been a change in weather, as the Midwest is struggling to moved fully into spring and away from winter and it tends to take a while for that to happen. When those first few days of sunshine and warm weather appear I can feel this sense of weight just lift off of me.

I’ve had this conversation with numerous people that they also experienced similar things. That especially during this time of year when the weather fluctuates so much between going from severe cold to warm to cold again they to feel them self fluctuating with the weather. So you yourself might be aware that you tend to have the exact same problem.

Now I know a person who hates the summer and lives for the cold weather and winter. It could be possible that S.A.D hit you in a way that it doesn’t tend to other. For the most part most people are negatively affected by the winter/cold weather and most are positively affected by the warm weather.

My advice to anyone who feels this way is to know that the mild depression will eventually leave you. The sun will come pac out again adn to try and make the best of your winter months. When that sun does come out enjoy it. Take a book outside and read in the sun. Play with your dog outside. Go on a walk. Feel the sun on your skin. The warmth and light cover you.