On a previous blog post I talked about what can and cannot be recycled. I can across this neat website! They gave such interesting facts about recycling I had to share!!
11 Facts about Recycling:
- The average person generates over 4 pounds of trash every day and about 1.5 tons of solid waste per year.
- Americans make more than 200 million tons of garbage each year, enough to fill Busch Stadium from top to bottom twice a day. Next time you’re at a sporting event or tailgate, host a trash-free tailgate using only recyclable materials sign up for Trash-Free Tailgate.
- The EPA estimates that 75% of the American waste stream is recyclable, but we only recycle about 30% of it.
- We generate 21.5 million tons of food waste each year. If we composted that food, it would reduce the same amount of greenhouse gas as taking 2 million cars off the road.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on your iPod. Recycling 100 cans could light your bedroom for two whole weeks. Sign up for 5 Cans Challenge to save energy and show off your creative side.
- The Container Recycling Institute (CRI) estimates that the 36 billion aluminum cans land filled last year had a scrap value of more than $600 million.
- Americans throw away about 28 billion bottles and jars every year.
- Over 87% of Americans have access to curbside or drop-off paper recycling programs.
- In 2009, Americans threw away almost 9 million tons of glass. That could fill enough tractor trailers to stretch from NYC to LA (and back!).
- In 2010, paper recycling had increased over 89% since 1990.
- A glass container can go from a recycling bin to a store shelf in as few as 30 days.
Be the change! Recycle! This may be something small that you are doing but it makes a BIG difference!!!
The link is below: