Facebook on the World

Facebook Dilemma Part One
Facebook Dilemma Part Two
The Facebook Dilemma FRONTLINE

Is Facebook Affecting Us in a Negative Way?

From an article called, “One Name to Rule Them All: Facebook’s Identity Problem”, it is easy to see that Facebook is not always a good thing to have around. This article sheds light on a story of a rule made by Facebook that allows the use of only real names. This would push out a huge portion of the drag community unfairly. In the end, Facebook issued an apology but at the route of this problem is the question of whether or not we should have to be our true selves online. Another article called, “Facebook Isn’t Making Us Lonely”, helps us understand the reason that it is easier for humans to feel more lonely in these times. But it also shows that there have never been more opportunities to socialize due to all the different options and forms of communication now. We feel like we are alone because most socializing is online and not in person but in reality we are connected more than ever now. The final article I read is called, “Is Facebook Making Us Lonely?”, which is about how lonely being online all the time can make a human feel. The author uses an example of a famous actress who died alone and was not found until her body was mummified. The point of that example is that she had her computer on the whole time but it wasn’t a real person.

These articles are all extremely relative right now especially because of how much life has turned into an online platform. Almost everything we did 100 years ago can be done online and we still haven’t fully adapted to it mentally. Though I don’t use Facebook, social media has become such a big part of what I spend my time on nowadays. The amount of sleep I have lost on days I work due to scrolling on TikTok for too long is insane. On top of that, I have never had many friends but now I don’t even like hanging out with the ones I have due to not wanting to get out of the house.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments