Shelby is an awesome RA! Read more to learn why! I promise you won’t regret it.
shelby

Favorite Sport: Football

Sports team: Green Bay Packers & the San Fransisco 49ers because they won the Super Bowl the year I was born.

Favorite Band: This frequently changes but the top three most listened to bands on my Spotify are: Twenty-One Pilots, The Maine and The Front Bottoms

Favorite Dining Hall: Ike because I love their breakfast and all of their lunch options, I just wish they were open longer!

Dream job: Chief of Diversity and Inclusion at a University or a Dean of Students

What I see myself doing in five years: In five years, hopefully I will either be completing my Ph.D. or have already completed it. I plan on being a Hall Director within a residential program at a college or university for a few years before working my way up.

Favorite Quote: My favorite quote is actually a song lyric “ I want to contribute to the chaos, I don’t want to watch and then complain, ‘cause I am through with finding blame, that is the decision I have made.” –The Front Bottoms

Why did you become an RA?: I became an RA because I saw it as the next step in my professional career. Once I realized that I had been trapped in the Student Affairs world, I wanted to gain all the experiences I could. Being an RA allows me to gain many different experiences within one postion.

What is your favorite thing about being an RA: My residents. I love all of my residents whether they know it or not. I may not love them all of the time but at the end of the day, they’re the reason I do what I do. Every year I have amazing residents that become outstanding leaders on campus, land awesome internships, and do just all around great things. Those are the moments I look forward to the most.

What else are you involved in?: Homecoming Steering Committee, ARA, LEAP and probably some other things that I forgot.

Piece of advice for other RA’s: Learn to say no. You’re going to want to get your hands into everything and be involved in every opportunity that is presented to you. Limiting your involvement helps to ensure that the few projects you are working on get done to the best of your ability. But remember why you’re here and stay true to yourself. A balanced life helps prevent that mid-semester burn-out!

Best story so far: One early weekend morning at apporimatley 2:30am I heard people running down the hallway and pounding on a door on the second floor of Cambridge. I peeked my head out of my apartment to see what was going on and my residents had locked themselves  INSIDE their apartment. They had detached their doorknob to attempt to get out but the doorknob fell on both sides of the door. We called campus PD and they couldn’t get the door open and they wanted to call the fire department to break down the door but we didn’t think that was a good idea. So I called DLK and after two hours of trying to open this door, Mike from DLK came and switched the lock & doorknob and had the residents out in five minutes.

Any extra Housing Involvement?: I serve as one of the Associate Director interns. AKA Terry’s intern.