By Cassie Steiner. Clem Bigelow Complex

Since February 1, 2015, I have been living a kind of crazy lifestyle; I have tried to eliminate virtually all garbage from my life by living waste free.

What is “Waste Free” Living?

Waste free (also called “zero waste”) living focuses on eliminating as much garbage as possible from one’s life. This means that I avoid purchasing anything that comes in packaging, try to upcycle or reuse as much as possible, and generally try to live more sustainably.

So… what exactly does that look like?

The first month I was waste free, I was very intentional about it. I did not eat on campus at all; rather, I purchased my food in bulk from a co-op and stored it in glass jars I had been collecting. Most of my meals consisted of some form of rice, beans and vegetables with fruit or nuts on the side. My shampoo, conditioner and soap come in bars to decrease packaging. I avoided most restaurants. I always use reusable bags. I made my own toothpaste (click here for the how to video).

Now that I’m in my second month and that I’ve realized I can really live this way, I’ve loosened up a bit until I graduate. I need to use up the products I have (including my Dining Dollars) before I can stay waste free in the long term. However, the plan is to be completely waste free by the time I move into my apartment post-graduation.

How has being waste free related to the RA role?

First of all, being waste free has resulted in a lot of really great conversations with residents about realizing the difference between wants and needs, taking advantage of items we all own, and understanding socioeconomic privilege and the role it can have on everyday life.

It has also resulted in me being craftier in the way I advertise to the complex and to my floor. I have been collecting old postings and printing on the other side. I’m also working on creating some cool active and passive programming about sustainability for April (the month in which Earth Day falls).

What lessons have you learned from this and would you recommend it to others?

In short: lots and yes!

If I were to write out all of the lessons I’ve learned, this would be a book rather than a blog post, so if you want to hear more, please check out my personal blog!