Bird Photography

Sadly, this will be my last post on this blog. The blog assignment is done, the school year is coming to an end, and I will be graduating in just under two weeks. I have enjoyed creating original content on this website, and I found this assignment to be a great introduction to blogging. Hopefully, this site will stay up after I graduate so you can look back at the various guides I have posted.

In this last post, I will be showcasing some of my best bird photos, as well as giving a few tips on how to take photos of them. Although I’m not too interested in knowing all the facts about the birds themselves, I still enjoy taking their photo when I see them. It can be challenging at times, but that’s what makes it fun. Along with the photos and tips, I will also include the camera settings I used for each photo.

Use a long lens
As I’ve said in just about all of my guides, a long lens is a great tool to have when taking these types of photos. If you have a DSLR camera, I would definitely recommend investing in a lens that can shoot from long distances. The one I use is the Canon EF 75-300mm lens. It works well and is not too expensive compared to other lenses, especially if you buy it refurbished. This kind of lens also creates great bokeh (see my guide for more information on that).

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/60
F-stop: 5.6
ISO: 100

Approach slowly and quietly
I try to take photos of any wildlife I come across at the wetland habitat I take walks at. In my personal experience, birds are the creatures that are scared away most easily, and often fly away before I can even get super close. To better your chances at getting a good photo, have your camera on and settings fixed. Move slowly and avoid making sudden movements or loud noises. Zoom in far with your lens, snap a photo, move closer, and snap another photo if the bird hasn’t flown away. That is usually how I do it (and then I delete the ones that are from the furthest distance),

but feel free to experiment and find a technique that works best for you.

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/320
F-stop: 5.6
ISO: 200

Pay attention to the ground as well as the trees
Most birds like to hang out in the trees, but I often find many, both large and small, walking along the ground. However, birds on the ground are more likely to fly away when you try to approach since you are already closer to them. Get as close as you can, and zoom in with your lens as you move forward. The bird in the photo below actually let me get pretty close, but I zoomed in even further with my long lens, making it look like I was even closer to it.

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/200
F-stop: 5.6
ISO: 100

Here are a few extra bird photos since it’s my last post:

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/80
F-stop: 5.6
ISO: 100

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/160
F-stop: 5.6
ISO: 100

View post on imgur.com

Shutter Speed: 1/400
F-stop: 5.0
ISO: 100

And that’s it! Thank you to everyone that read my posts and supported me as I blogged throughout this semester! Feel free to look back on my older posts and leave comments or questions. As long as the blog stays up, I’ll try to keep an eye on it. Thanks again, and keep practicing!