Uncategorized

Types of Boats for Fishing

At the end of the day, nearly anyone can have a day spent fishing by renting (or buying) a relatively non-expensive kayak. In fact, some of my fishing buddies prefer fishing from the kayak. I would compare fishing in a kayak to hunting with a bow. You have to get intimate with your surroundings. You are ultimately stalking your prey. This is what’s so cool, because you really have to work to be successful. Slowly moving through narrow channels and exploring parts of the water that no other type of vessel can reach.

Taking things to the opposite side of the spectrum, fishermen like to dream about owning a very nice and expensive fishing boat. A few well-known examples might be something like a Ranger, Triton, or Lund. My ultimate dream boat for fishing would be a fiberglass Ranger. Big tournament guys will generally have one of these kinds of boats as well. These types of boats are very streamlined, usually have large outboard engines (so they’re extremely fast). But the main feature I look for in a fishing boat is the ability to troll into shallow depths with the use of a trolling motor. Not quite as versatile as a kayak, but certainly the closest to it.

Finally, I share what I use to go fishing. When my family moved away from the lake, we left behind a nice old Sea Ray and an old jetski. However, we kept the pontoon boat, a Misty Harbor. Now, most would say pontoons aren’t your typical fishing boat, and I would agree with those people. My point however, is that you can still fish from them, and since they float on large pontoons you can also get to very shallow water as well.

One Comment