The Awakening Review

This first part of the review will be thoughts and comments that I had while watching the movie.

• The first thing this movie shows you after the studios is this quote from some sort of ghost hunting book written by the main character.
  • “OBSERVATION: Between 1914 and 1919 war and influenza have claimed more than a million lives in Britain alone.
  • CONCLUSION: This is a time for ghosts.”
  • -Florence Cathcart ‘Seeing Through Ghosts’ p7.

• This is just silly to me, she sounds like a middle schooler trying to be all macabre and edgy. I think I now have a better idea of what this movie is going to be like.

• I always feel weird watching movies set in the time right before world war two, seeing all these kids running around and knowing that in a few years they’ll be shipped off to war. This would set off a second time for ghosts, well I guess they’ll always have content for a sequel.

• It’s super odd how they’re getting a hoax critic to solve a very real death even if it may have been a spook that killed him.

• They’re using the same building as the one in a version of pride and prejudice I had to watch for highschool and it made me instantly dislike this movie.

• It also has the actor who plays bran stark from Game of Thrones which makes me feel bad about myself because someone younger than me is way more successful.

You know that one cliche where they finish a conversation about going somewhere and the next scene they’re already halfway there? Well, this movie does it but she never actually agreed to want to go, and there wasn’t even any indication that she was going to change her mind, which leads me to believe that they forgot to make the scene where she finally agrees or they didn’t care enough to actually put it in.

Okay, this is one of those twist movies that attempts to explain scenes that didn’t originally make sense, and without giving away the twist I have to say it’s one that originally got me. That is until I thought about it more and realized that there was ZERO indication of the twist. well there was some things but you really have to watch it a second time, but there also some scenes that really didn’t show this off too well. It just kind of changed everything and said: “this is how things are now, this is what happened”.

I’m writing this while watching the end of the movie and it’s pretty good, you just have to think about it. But I don’t like thinking while watching movies. I’ll have to give this movie the prestigious “a smart movie for smart people” award.

Awards

Most Twisty and probably best twist I’ve seen

Movie that Demands a second watch, in a good way, you know kind of like Sixth Sense *cough cough*.

No Comment