Hawks Nest Sports Updates

https://uwwsports.com/index.aspx

By: Evan Christman

My name is Evan Christman, I would say I am the biggest supporter of Warhawk athletics! I go to every sporting event I can possibly go to (academics come first though), I’m currently a sophomore here at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater studying journalism with a emphasis on broadcast, print and web. Today, I’m here to talk about how the fall athletic teams are doing this far into the season as well as a look into the National runner ups from last year, the Warhawk women’s basketball team! Let’s get started!

Men’s Tennis

So far, the men’s tennis team has had the Warhawk Invite, no team scores were posted, this team has a very interesting schedule, they head out to Palm Desert, CA on March 24th-March 31st for their annual spring trip. If I could highlight one huge match on their schedule it would be April 8th when they play the Case Western Reserve Spartans in Chicago. Now, Case Western Reserve is a very good tennis squad. But, if the Warhawks can find some way through these tough Spartans and defeat them, the Warhawks have a very good chance of going deep in the NCAA Team Tournament.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team is off to a great start this year after grabbing 1st place overall as a team at the Ken Weidt Invitational hosted by the Concordia (WI) Falcons. The next huge event for this team is October 15th when the team travels to UW La Crosse for the Drews/Neubauer Invite, this is a chance for the team to prove themselves against one of the best teams in the nation, the host, UW La Crosse. If the Warhawks can get top 7, I see us making some noise in the NCAA North Regional hosted by St. Olaf College come November 12th.

Men’s Soccer

After a tough loss to the Saint John’s Johnnies today (9/11/2022), losing 3-0, the Warhawks look to get back on track and improve their record to 4-2 with the Luther Norse coming into town. Luther has always played the Warhawks tough. In fact, the Warhawks are 4-6-3 all time whe nthey play Luther. This is not a good stat in my opinion, but this Warhawk team looks very good this year with some key freshmen coming in including Cooper Re who netted two goals in a season opening win vs the Webster Gorloks. Two main matches that I would keep an eye on for the Warhawks coming up are when they play the Loras College Duhawks for the Hawk Cup and when they host the UW-Platteville Pioneers to finish off the regular season before the conference tournament. Not only are both of these matches for trophies, they are both very tough matches for the Warhawks regularly.

Football

Where do I begin with this team, upsetting the #1 ranked Mary Hardin Baylor Crusaders at HOME! What a game! The next match for the now #4 ranked Warhawks will be at Mount Berry, Georgia when they take on the Berry College Vikings in their final non-conference matchup before conference play begins.

Women’s Cross Country

The Warhawks took 2nd out of 7 teams also at Concordia, I don’t see this team making as much noise as the men’s team but we’ll see where the season leads them.

Women’s Golf

After a 5th place finish at the Wartburg Invite, the women’s golf team looks to their next match, the Illinois Wesleyan Invite, hosted by the Titans who actually just took 1st place at Wartburg. The women’s golf team has a first place finish under their belt, that was their first match of the season at Carthage. I can see this team sending a few players to regionals, maybe further, I don’t think we will send the team though.

Women’s Tennis

After a 5-2 win over the Cardinal Strich Wolves today (9/11/2022), the Warhawks look to stay undefeated as they will host the UW-La Crosse Eagles on September 17th. This team is looking dangerous thus year, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were to upset either Northern Illinois or UW-Milwaukee, the two Division 1 teams they will play this year. I think this team will be the #1 seed in the Final Four AQ Tourney for the WIAC Conference.

Women’s Soccer

After owning the state of Minnesota the past couple days with wins coming over Augsburg and St. Scholastica, the Warhawks will also play September 14th as they also will play and host the Luther Norse, the Warhawks success on the women’s side is just a tad bit better going 7-3 all time when these two face off. I see this team having tons of talent in the next couple years but not making it out off the conference tournament this year which takes place November 2nd-November 6th.

Women’s Volleyball

This team has some big expectations this year after falling to the Otterbein Cardinals last year in the NCAA Tournament. So far, in my opinion, I think they have met these as they are 7-2 so far only losing to Bethel (MN) and Millikin. This team has a chance to win as they were preseason 2nd in the WIAC conference poll. UW-Eau Claire was picked first.

One thought on “Hawks Nest Sports Updates”