Since the semester is coming to a close, I wanted to incorporate a blog that put all my favorite quotes from my interviews in one spot. Overall, this process was super enjoyable and it was interesting to see everyone’s different opinion on sustainability. Here’s some of the highlights:

“I want everyone to enjoy what I got to enjoy.” – Brianna

“There would be less impact on everybody else if we grew all our own [produce]” – Jeff

“It matters because it helps restore us to a sense of balance to a way we’re intended to live, but it also matters so much for the future because our future can be very grim or nonexistent without it.”- Andrea

“It’s not even our health, but it’s the ecosystem and everything.” – Cody

“When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” – Aldo Leopold

“A lot of this thinking is like: tomorrow if there is an apocalypse and you’re stuck at home, will you be able to survive and support yourself. That’s all about sustaining yourself.” – Pascal

“I think all that creates a better connection to the environment and then creates a more sustainable life.” – Nikelle

“It matters because you save money and you save the earth.” – Janet

“Recycling should realistically be your last option, and there’s so many other good options that you should do before that.” – Holly

“When more of our population has an understanding of the issues and solutions at hand, I think that’s when we can not only want change, but demand change too.” – Shae

“It goes beyond even the environment. It means paying your workers a fair wage.” – Brianna

“Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” – Gro Harlem Brundtland 

“For sustainability I just think of different lifestyles for both economic and environmental sustainability. People can save the environment and save money” -Chris

“If you see something that you want to change, then speak up and only support those things that you really believe in.” – Nikelle

“I feel like sustainability is really just maintaining your own integrity because when you focus too much on expanding, then you collapse.” – Matt

“I guess it’s just to leave a good footprint. We’re only here for 70 years or whatever, so I don’t want to be a major cause in why things are messed up 100 years from now.” – Cody

“When we care for our environment is when we are likely to take action to protect it. Without the opportunity to connect with nature, is when there are barriers for people to want to live sustainably.” – Shae

“At a government level, I think economic incentives are the most successful at getting people to want to do something.” – Chris

“I actually, really think that it was when I went out west for the first time. I was like, ‘oh my gosh, I want to preserve this land!’ It was probably my ah-ha moment. It was just like, ‘I absolutely love it out here’ and I just want to save it.” – Brianna

“So basically we always have to do this thing called a ‘sustainability triangle’. Each piece is either people, planet, and profit. You want that to be as equal as possible.” – Nikelle

I just want to thank everyone who participated and encourage others to keep informing yourself on environmental issues AND solutions! Check out these informative and proactive resources: