Waiting Game

Well, I leave in 9 days, and I’ve hardly started thinking about preparing to leave. I still have to get an adapter, call my bank and let them know I’ll be abroad, get some euros, figure out what to do about a phone plan, and pack! These are all on my to-do list for the next week.

Last week, I received an email from API (my study abroad program provider) with the details of where I’ll be staying while I’m in Berlin. When I applied for the program, I opted to do a homestay rather than stay in student housing because I want the authentic German experience, not just another dorm experience. This placement was one of the things I was a bit nervous about because I have no control over where I get placed. API had me fill out a questionnaire that asked about my living habits and interests, but beyond that, there was no input from me. This is also one of the things I’m most excited, so when I got that email, I was so happy. Part of me is wondering if I’ll be missing out on opportunities to participate in activities with other students since I won’t be living in a dorm, but I  also am aware of the numerous experiences I will be able to have because I am living with a family.

I found out that I’ll be living with an older family in the Zehlendorf, which is an area within the Steglizt-Zehlendorf borough in Berlin. It’s one of the neighborhoods southwest from Berlin. The family lives close to a lake and a metro station, so there will be plenty for me to do there. While staying in this neighborhood, I hope I can experience as much of the local culture as possible. I’ll make sure to add pictures of it to future posts. That’s one thing I really want to be sure to do; take as many pictures of this experience as I can, both for my own reminiscing and for my future classrooms.

At the moment, I’m kind of in limbo. I’m so close to leaving, but still have so much to get done here before I leave. I’m getting more excited every day, but not the kind of excited that comes from experiencing a new place; rather, the excitement that comes from returning to a place that holds part of my life.