Suitcase of Grief

Suitcase of Grief

When my husband passed away, I got a card from a psychiatrist that my family grew close to while we were basically living at the hospital. She wrote something that has stuck with me and still pops in my head from time to time. It reads:

“Grief is like a suitcase sitting at the bottom of your bed. Every day, you must carry it with you, without fail. Some days, it feels like it’s filled with rocks. Some days, it feels like it’s light as a feather. That’s how you get through this: when there are more days of feathers than rocks.”

I’ve found this to be so true. Most days, at least at this point in my journey, my suitcase is filled with feathers. Other days, it feels like someone or something suddenly comes around and replaces the feathers with rocks. Maybe an hour or so later, feathers replace the rocks, and then rocks find their way in again. To be honest, it’s an exhausting roller coaster that I wish I could get off of (it’s no surprise that I hate roller coasters). Hopefully, if anyone finds my tiny corner of the internet–maybe a widow or widower, a mom going through miscarriages, someone going through any other kind of loss, or even someone who just wants to try to understand how I’m feeling–riding this roller coaster won’t feel so lonely. Maybe we can even help carry each other’s suitcases on rock-filled days.

xo

4 thoughts on “Suitcase of Grief”

• I’m so sorry for your loss. I love that statement and I hope life is filled with feathers rather than rocks. I believe we should all live life in a positive manner and I’m super excited to see what you have to post in the future! Grief is something that can’t be taught and works in many different ways and I hope someone takes your advice about grief!

• Reading this was very powerful and hopeful. Thinking about the quote you shared, it makes me have a different outlook on life and griving. Thank you for sharing, and hoping for more feather filled days.

• I am so so sorry for your loss. I love this analogy that you gave because I do think that no matter what anyone is going through, a statement like that can bring a smile or a different outlook to someone’s day, week, or outlook in general. Grief is very hard and I went through it and still going through it, so this was a great reminder!

• I’m sorry to hear about your husband and hope things are okay for you. I lost a close friend this fall and I relate so much to this quote you shared. Some days, it feels unbearable and cold without them and other days, the pain is still there, just lighter. I am really glad you shared this quote and will keep up with this blog as I might be able to really take something away from it. Good job!