Chicken Noodle Soup

Unfortunately, over the weekend I caught what is going around on campus.  It seems to be a pretty nasty cold: fatigue, cough, sore throat and LOTS of congestion.  I really tried to fight and nip it in the bud with Emergen-C and fluids, but here I am, miserable with three exams to look forward to.  And just like the cliche, I am finding comfort in some chicken noodle soup, specifically my mom’s.  But, I decided to tweek my mom’s recipe into a five dollar version and see what happens.

This recipe is simple, fast and soothing, something any sick person can appreciate.  This recipe is also a bang for your buck because it makes a few servings.  With that being said: the freezer is your friend.

Overall Cost: $4.85

Ingredients:

-1 can of chicken broth ($1.00)

-1/4 cup of carrot (.60 cents)

-1/4 cup of celery (.75 cents)

-1/2 cup of shredded chicken ($1.50)

-1/4 cup of uncooked egg noodles ($1.00)

-Seasoning (opt.)

Instructions:

1. Cut celery and carrots in medium sized slices and shred chicken into reasonable portion

2. Heat broth and vegetables at a medium heat into a boil

3. Gradually stir chicken and egg noodles into the mixture

4. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally

5. Enjoy!

Overall Thoughts:  This soup definitely does the job in terms of helping a sick girl out.  While making my way to Walmart, I did realize there are several different kinds of chicken broth with varying prices.  I recommend getting the small can of Swanson.  It’s low price and has 3 servings.  Also, when shredding the chicken, don’t be afraid to have larger portions!  I shredded the pieces a little too small and you can’t even see the chicken in the soup.  It’s in there..promise.

Also, egg noodles are cheap, amazing and I love them.