Caprese Panini

So, just like any average Friday afternoon I was spending my time on Pinterest when I really should be studying for a Chemistry exam.  I know, I know..I really shouldn’t be doing that.  But, IF I hadn’t been doing so, I would not have stumbled across this AMAZING recipe.  The best part was that I had all of the ingredients for it. Score.

After a stressful week, I rewarded myself with a Caprese panini.  Trust me it tastes a lot like Caprese, but it’s in sandwich form so it’s ten times better.  If you’ve never had Caprese then you absolutely have to try this recipe and if you truly have no idea what I am talking about..

“Caprese: A simple Italian dish consisting of slices of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil while seasoned with salt and olive oil”

At a serving perspective, this dish runs pretty cheap.  But, I do understand that not every person has a jar of pesto laying around.  If you where to go to Walmart or another grocery store to get all of these ingredients, you’re looking at about 7 dollars in expenses.  Still pretty acceptable.

Overall Price: $5

Ingredients:

-2 slices of any kind of bread (thicker slices preferably)

-1 tomato (.50 cents)

-1 table spoon of pesto sauce (.20 cents)

-2 slices of mozzarella cheese ($1.00 dollar)

-2 table spoons of balsamic vinegar (.50 cents)

-butter

Instructions:

1. Cut tomato into medium sized slices and put in bowl of balsamic vinegar to sit for a few minutes  (the picture wasn’t really appealing..)

2. Butter both sides of bread thoroughly and layer the sandwich with pesto, a slice of mozzarella, the soaked tomato slices and another slice of mozzarella

3. Heat skillet pan to a medium heat and cook each side of the sandwich for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

4. Enjoy!

1486753445 copy-39 (dragged)

Overall Thoughts:  I could eat this panini for any meal of the day.

One thought on “Caprese Panini