post

Kolten Wong

With the 2022 season underway, I figured I would show my statistical predictions for the two time Gold Glove award winner, Kolten Wong. There are three statistical metrics that I will use to showcase impact which includes batting average, hits, and steals. These numbers will be based on the assumption that Kolten Wong is healthy and getting regular at-bats throughout the 2022 MLB season. With that being said, I predict Kolten to have an astounding season. While he has always been a great defensive player, I will focus on his offensive impact.

Kolten Wong tagging a runner out
  • First, one of the most important offensive statistics is batting average. Batting average includes how often a player reaches on base from a base-hit. This statistic ranges from 0-1, normally in between .100 and .400 for most players. Throughout Wong’s career, he has maintained a career batting average of .262, which is pretty impressive. In 2021, the average batting average throughout the MLB was .244. Kolten was 0.018 above average which is a large margin for batting average, indicating that Kolten Wong gets on base through base hits at a higher level than the average hitter. Based on his performance last year and throughout his career, I expect Kolten Wong to hit for a .268 batting average. This is higher than his normal batting average throughout his career and since he is entering the prime of his career, I expect a better yearly performance in 2022.
  • Another important statistic for offensive players is getting on base through base hits. Hits are very important and can ultimately determine the success of not only the player, but the team as well. Kolten Wong is generally a leadoff hitter, which means he hits first in the batting lineup. Players that hit leadoff generally get on base a lot and generate high success rates when hitting a baseball. Kolten Wong had 121 hits last season for the Milwaukee Brewers which was the third most in a season for himself. I expect Wong to generate a ton of hits as he should leadoff for the Milwaukee Brewers and generate many run opportunities for hitters that are lower in the lineup. I expect Wong to have roughly 114 base hits, as he normally will reach these numbers when playing 120+ games which should happen. If he is able to get hot for an extended period of time, I can see Wong reaching as many as 130 hits within the 2022 season which is always a possibility when being a great hitter such as Kolten Wong.
  • Since Kolten Wong reaches on base often, he tends to steal bases at a decent rate. Stealing a base refers to the act of a player reaching on any base and running towards and touching the next base before any opposing player tags him with the baseball in their glove. Players that can run faster are normally better at stealing bases. Kolten Wong is seen as a player that can run at a faster rate than most which makes him a threat for opposing players. Last year, Wong had 12 stolen bases which isn’t the most impressive but shows he can be sneaky on the base path. I expect Kolten Wong to have even more success stealing bases with a prediction of 14 stolen bases in the 2022 MLB season. This is important as it advances base runners to put them in a better position to score runs. Wong is seen as an athlete with sneaky speed which comes to his advantage when stealing bases.
Kolten Wong stealing a base

Kolten Wong is regarded as one of the best defensive fielders at the second base position but his offensive performances are criminally underrated. He has been a consistently solid leadoff hitter for Milwaukee and continues to prove his worth offensively every ballgame. In 2022, I expect Kolten Wong to possess a .268 batting average, 114 base hits, and 14 stolen bases. This would be considered a solid season for Kolten Wong and I fully expect him to reach these numbers and potentially play better than expected. After watching him when he played in St. Louis and then seeing his performance in Milwaukee, it’s easy to see that he has All-Star potential and hopefully will make that leap this year.

One thought on “Kolten Wong

1. As someone who doesn’t know a lot about baseball and is from Illinois (which means I am a Cubs fan), this was really informational. I didn’t really know anything about Kolten Wong and now I understand the potential and how great of an athlete he is. I like how your blog is laid out and has the Brewers logo incorporated. Great job!!