Guiding Your Own Meditation

Hello everyone! This week I am going to talk to you a little bit about how to lead your own guided meditation! It can take as long as needed, but I know with being college students, our time for relaxation and self care can be extremely limited. Therefore, I am going to break down what helps me meditate and relax, and will drop a quick little 10 minute meditation video below to help you get started! This is super easy and can really help with overthinking and releasing everyday stress.

First, what I do is take a moment to get comfortable and lie flat on my back. Even if you don’t usually sleep on your back, this makes it a lot easier to relax your body and muscles. Let go of any conversations or tensions you may have had throughout the day and take big, deep breaths, in through the nose and out through your mouth. Sometimes it can be comforting to place your hand on your stomach as well to feel your breath moving in and out.

Another very important part of meditating is really observing how your body feels. Does it feel heavy or light? Restless or still? Ready for sleep? This is important before moving the body towards sleep. It also helps to run through each part of your day from beginning to end. I typically pick out 25-30 moments of the day before moving onto a wind down.

A wind down helps relieve that tension that is in the body after a full day. This is where little by little, you relax each part of your body, beginning with the feet and ending with your face.

This is just a small start to many different ways you can meditate. I highly recommend the app called HeadSpace, which has a large variety of sleep casts, guided meditations, and morning meditations as well. It really helped get me started and I now am able to do it without using the app! I also have linked below a guided meditation that is sitting and is a great way to begin the day. Happy meditating everyone and have a great weekend!