Oct 9

Interview story

Interview Story: Different but not so Different

As a child you don’t think you are different but if people treat you different you begin to wonder. You ask yourself what it wrong with and that is exactly what Kathryn Dickman did when she was six years old.

Kathryn Dickman is 20 years old and is a junior at UW-Whitewater. She is a MAGD major with a Graphic Design Minor.

She grew up in Kenosha, Wisconsin and attend Reuther High School. She is an only child to Clint and Jennifer Dickman.

She discovered she had ADHD when she was six years and in first grade. She knew once she started school she was different.

When she started school kids tended not to be near her because she was hyper and crazy as they put it.

“Kids would laugh at me and call me weirdo and crazy. And that was said by five year old. I never thought children would be like that,” Kathryn said.

Her parents started asking questions about it after she got into a fight so to speak with a fifth grader. Just letting you know she was in kindergarten at this time.

She says that she was outside playing with a bouncy ball and he came over and took it from her. Then all of a sudden she jumped on his back and was acting crazy.

Two teachers had to pull her off and then when asked about she couldn’t focus and was still so hyper. So the school asked her parents to get her tested.

So they did and a few months later they figured out she had it. From then on she has taken medication to help her keep calm during school.

Till this day she still has trouble focusing in class and on homework but always has had great grades. She tends to do most of her homework and classes between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. because that is when she tends to have more focus.

She knows this will affect her job career but she knows if she stays focused and keeps having the job she loves it will not be a problem for her.

“If I tend to do things that I love to do I tend to focus on it better and since I want to be game maker I should have no problem focusing,” Kathryn said.

No comments

No Comments