Hi everyone! My blog for this week is going to focus solely on the benefits of the ketogenic diet. In past blogs, I have sprinkled some of the benefits of this diet in to the other topics, but I thought that this would be a good time to give you a dietician’s perceived benefits as well as some personal anecdotes from how I felt while participating in this diet.

From a technical perspective, participants in the ketogenic diet notice benefits in a couple different areas. According to Trifecta Nutrition, the three primary benefits of the ketogenic diet are that it promotes weight loss, it improves glycemic control for people with diabetes, and it can help lower cholesterol and improve high blood pressure.

It is only fair to mention that dieticians and other health professionals wouldn’t say for certain that the keto diet is the best diet out there. Trifecta points out that people do miss carbs when they restrict themselves in such a major way. This means that it could be argued that the diet isn’t sustainable; it is difficult to commit to long term.

From personal experience, I noticed a few benefits in my life when I transitioned into this diet. First and foremost, I was able to lose 15 pounds in a period of 3 and a half months. I felt more energized, more attentive, and felt less weighed down after a large meal. These were all awesome, and it felt like a small price to pay for leaving carbs out of the picture.

After a couple months, there was a noticeable plateau. I was eating the same amounts and working out as consistently as when I started, but I didn’t notice as many changes. I was also starting to miss carbs; I would go to the gas station and have to fight off the urge to buy a breakfast sandwich. I had my hard-boiled eggs in my lunch box, but it was starting to take a toll on me. It is hard taking carbohydrates completely out of your diet, and I would like to see someone who has been able to sustain this lifestyle for years. I would definitely have some questions for them. But I still stand beside the idea that going on this diet is a great way to lose weight, and it will change your perspective on how much you rely on carbs on a daily basis.

One thought on “Benefits of the Keto Diet”

1. Hey Nick, I legit started reading all your blogs after reading this one. I’ve been trying to gain muscle and stay on diet with keto and your blog has really helped. Personally, I also get that same temptation of wanting to grab that breakfast sandwich, or eating a donut, but the end goal is so worth it. You’ve got this! Thank you for your post and your blog overall!