An individual embracing everything about himself.

Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels

This post strays away from the content that is normally published on this page, but it’s important to have the discussion of how society can impact the beauty industry and mental health. So far on this blog, makeup and beauty have been talked about in a fun and expressive way; however, there are some negative outcomes that the beauty industry can be partially responsible for, and it is crucial to have that conversation as well.

First, I want to start by saying that the beauty industry is extremely close to my heart since I’ve had the opportunity to work with many renowned companies as a consultant and artist for many years. I’ve had the pleasure of helping people of all ages, races, genders, etc. find the products that best work to make them feel beautiful, which is a great feeling to know that you helped someone feel their best. However, it is extremely disheartening to see the other side of things like people’s insecurities and even depression from makeup and the beauty industry.

Oftentimes, a typical day in my field consists of hearing people say horrible things about themselves. For example, an individual coming in to shop for a new concealer may start the conversation by saying, “Can you help me find a concealer to cover these horrendous undereye circles I have?” Or another guest that pleads for any recommendations for a new skincare routine to “get rid of this ugly acne.” After those guests leave the store another will come in to spend hundreds of dollars in hopes to “fix an old wrinkled face.” The list goes on, but the point is that people of all ages, races, genders, etc. come in each day to fix an insecurity they have, but at the same time talk about themselves in such a negative way.

Societal norms have a strong hold on people, especially when it comes to the beauty industry. Magazine covers of the world’s most famous actresses and models have been the beauty standard for young girls to look up to for years, and it’s getting worse with the presence of social media. The people I mentioned above most likely have those insecurities because those are the beauty standards they grew up believing from parents, friends, and society in general. It’s been said before, but those magazine covers are highly edited and those models sat for hours getting professional hair and makeup done to capture the “perfect” photograph that people now think they have to become.

Makeup is supposed to be a way to convey self-expression in a creative medium that is fun. There is so much pressure to look “perfect,” but as long as you’re having fun and enjoying life that is all that matters. There is always beauty from within that shines brighter and makes you feel happier in life. Everyone has their insecurities, but it is important to speak nicely about yourself because you certainly wouldn’t say those things about anyone else. This is my message to embrace everything about yourself and let go of the beauty standards society has set in place. They’re unattainable and quite frankly harmful to mental health. With that being said, next time you see an insecurity and you have the urge to say something negative, think of a positive thing you love about yourself instead. This is a much healthier and productive way to combat the issue of the beauty standards society set in place.

4 thoughts on “Beauty From Within: Not Conforming to Societal Norms”

1. This was an interesting deep-dive into the psychology behind why we use makeup and what makes us think a certain way about ourselves. Especially growing up in the age of social media, beauty standards can really harm a person’s self-esteem. One could argue, however, that this is the beauty of makeup (no pun intended). We notice these things about ourselves we’d like to change and because of certain products we can feel a little more confident about ourselves even though it doesn’t “fix” the issue.

2. I agree that in todays society makeup is a way to stand out and express yourself. There will always be people hating on someone saying “your wearing too much makeup” or “your makeup doesn’t look good” which is why it is why mental health is plummeting these days. Anyone can do what they want with their bodies, and people need to be more accepting of it. At the end of the day we are all the same. I love doing makeup for my own happiness, not because it will make someone else happy. Thats what it is all about.

3. I think that is great that you brought this to light. I think it is important for everyone to know that you are beautiful with or without makeup. It should be all about you and what you want for yourself. Makeup is amazing and it is definitely an art, I do think that if you are comfortable in your own skin and what you are wearing, that’s all that matters.

4. I really appreciated this temporary change of pace. While makeup is fun and can help build confidence, it can also do the complete opposite for someone. The beauty industry can be great but also harmful when it comes to the standards it sets. Makeup should be advertised as self-expression, not as something to cover insecurities.