A woman showing off her beautiful skin.

Photo by Ike Louie Natividad from Pexels

The reason why a lot of people wear face makeup is to cover up blemishes or any skin concern they may have. Some may think that in order to achieve this you need to wear full coverage products all over the face, but this is not the case. More likely, there may be one specific area that you want to cover. For example, this could be a blemish. Thinking about it in this way, if you have several blemishes, you wouldn’t need full coverage products for the entire face. Instead, you would simply need a medium-to-full coverage concealer to spot treat these specific areas. The same goes for any main areas of redness or dark spots. Many people think if they have any skin concern whatsoever, they automatically need full coverage products. In this Feature Highlight post, tips on how to perfect the skin and foundation base for makeup will be covered so you can show off your naturally beautiful face without using a heavy full coverage foundation!

To start with, a great skin care routine and primer are crucial in making sure the base is applied smoothly. This step should consist of using a cleanser to wash the face before any product or makeup application, as well putting on any desired serums, moisturizers, and SPF. After the skincare is all applied, primer is the first makeup product that should go after. Primer is a product that helps to fill in any pores or texture of the skin and makes makeup last longer on the face throughout the day.

Next, it’s time to pick your foundation base. Whether you struggle with acne, rosacea, dark spots, or any other skin concern, you can choose the coverage of your foundation. A light coverage look is popular right now, which was discussed in a previous blog post regarding various makeup trends. This makes your skin look the most natural and radiant, whereas a full coverage foundation will make you look like you’re wearing a full face of makeup. This obviously is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to achieve the desired “no makeup, makeup look” you may not want to go this route.

Once you have applied your light coverage foundation, you can move on to covering the designated areas that are deemed to be skin concerns. Even though the foundation applied is a lighter coverage, this will still help ease the look of the skin concern before any concealer is even applied. This is where your medium-to-full concealer of choice comes into play. In this step, you will only apply this concealer to the areas that you have skin concerns with in order to keep the light coverage foundation in tact. Once this is dotted in these areas, you will simply blend this out into the foundation base to eliminate the skin concerns you originally had.

Setting this makeup in place is important so the base lasts throughout the day. A translucent loose setting powder may be a good product to use since it will not add additional coverage to the foundation base you already have set in place. Instead, this will help to blur pores and make the makeup stay on longer. The function of a setting powder is similar to the primer you used in the first step of this routine.

After the foundation base is applied, you can customize the colors on the face with bronzer, blush, and highlighter. This will complete your flawless base for the makeup routine and then you can move on to eyeshadow and lips. This is a basic routine on how to perfect the foundation base to create the “no makeup, makeup look” that is trending on social media. Although makeup can be used to cover any “skin perfections,” it is important to know that all skin is beautiful whether or not you wear makeup.

6 thoughts on “Feature Highlight: Skin & Foundation Base”

1. Since Covid, the days I spend doing a full face of makeup has drastically gone down. I’ve found now that I desire putting on a full face less than I did before. It’s been nice to have my skin breathe and while I still appreciate a full glam moment, my normal day-to-day look is pretty minimal. That being said, I’m not getting the kind of coverage I would normally be used to so reading how to spot treat with makeup throughout this blog was super helpful for where I’m at currently. I always found it hard to blend in just one problem area. Even if I covered it with concealer, it still didn’t look totally blended in. Definitely will try these tricks the next time I want to look a little more cleaned up without having to do the whole foundation, concealer, powder deal.

2. I have always had a passion for makeup. I used to do prom and homecoming makeup for my sister’s friends. It was also so fun and relaxing for me. I love the tips and tricks in this blog post and I will definitely be using these. After Covid, like Jenna said, I have lost a little bit of interest in doing full face makeup, but during Covid, I thought it was a fun time to do crazy makeup and a full face because I was bored. I did all of the different steps to complete my look and fell in love with makeup again! Loved this post!

3. I myself struggle with acne and dark spots. Although I always feel the need to cover up my imperfections I like to use light weight foundation because it feels better on my skin. Heavy foundation makes me feel gross and like my poor are being clogged. This was a fun read because it shows different ways to wear your makeup.

4. I grew up doing competitive cheer and that required me to be in full glam stage make-up every weekend. I was always on the hunt to find a foundation that matched my fair skin and lasted long for my combination skin. It took me a long time to find what kind of products work best for me, and I still am always looking for the perfect products. I think that one thing that is hard for me is that my skin is always changing. I am very combination and my dry patches are never very consistent. I have been loving your posts and cannot wait to read more this semester!

5. When I was a junior in high school, I’d wake up soooo early to do my makeup just to go to school (I would do a full face pretty much everyday). Reading this post really made me want to go out and buy some new products just to test them out on my skin! I do have to say though, I’ve been loving the “no makeup” makeup look recently, which is something I never thought I’d be into. I also liked reading how you describe doing your makeup, because everyone does It differently and I think it interesting. I enjoyed reading this post!

6. This was a really informative post. You sounded like you really know what you were talking about and it was really easy to understand. I also liked this topic in general because I have struggled with acne and in high school I definitely tried covering it up with a good amount of foundation but a lot of the times that just seems to aggravate it more so it’s an endless cycle. I like what you describe about using light coverage and then spot treat your problem areas with a medium-high coverage foundation. This seems like it would work perfectly and not look so caked on.