The History of South Syonel

April 10th, 2020

Hello everyone. This week we will take a break from character backstories to discuss some of the history of the 2nd known continent, South Syonel. However, before we jump into that history I would like to ask any readers, would you rather I continue with the story of the campaign or shall I discuss the process of me DMing it? Would you be more interested in just the story or how I run my games. Please let me know down below.

Recorded History in South Syonel starts at the end of the Abyssal War. The people of the world had begun the process of rebuilding and with their ambition and drive to constantly move forwards humans began to outpace the elves, dwarves, and dragonborn. Their populations grew and took up most of the continent. This didn’t worry the other nations and species of the continent until Lucius Varani rose to power. Once one of the many hundred human warlords who claimed power at the end of the Abyssal War, Lucius wanted to see his families power grow and last for eternity. He conquered the other human warlords and fledgling nations forming the Varani Dominion. After all human nations were brought into the fold and cities were rebuilt Lucius’ successor looked to the elves for continued conquest.

Map of South Syonel, picturing to boarder between the Verdant Wood, THe Turrisat Alliance, and the Varani Dominion

The Dominion invaded the Verdant Woods, home of the Forest Elves. Their invasion led to a war that would last over 1000 years. The front line constantly moving as Dominion armies attacked and Elven armies counterattacked. After some time, the southern dominion territories began to feel different towards the war and the leadership of the Dominion. It was their lands that were ravaged by conflict and their people who suffered, while people to the north profited off the spoils of war. These three southern territories would rise in rebellion forming the Turrisat Alliance.

The Alliance would’ve crumbled under the military might of the Dominion if it wasn’t for the Elves that they were at war with. Elven leadership looked at this civil war and instead of using it as an opportunity to prepare defenses or launch further counterattacks they supported the Alliance. Together they pushed the Dominion back and were able to push for a peace treaty.

This leads into the modern era where the three nations have a tense peace. This is where i’ll leave the story at. I don’t want to make this post any longer than it already is. Next week we’ll hear about our last character backstory, Iodani.