Sweet Mini Rice Cake recipe

Sometimes we do a lot for a grade, work, or even a recipe! This post represents my dedication to you and my grade! For some back story, I typically write my post and bake the recipe for photos on the same day. I always make sure I have the ingredients ahead of time so I don’t run into any issues, however sometimes things don’t go as planned. For this recipe, Milk was an essential ingredient, however the milk I had was mismeasured and it was well past the time all the local stores were closed! (really, what Walmart isn’t 24/7?!) So I ventured forth on a near midnight quest in search of quite literally a glass of milk. I asked my friends and floor, but none of them had any. I Checked the local gas stations, but they were all closed. Fearing I might have to wait for the next day to go to the store, I walked home with my head hanging low. Until I saw it, the beacon of hope, the bastion of mercy… McDonalds!!! Is it a weird solution? Definitely. Is their milk overpriced? Most certainly! Did it work? Absolutely! I honestly never expected to have McDonalds be my savior, especially for a recipe! But here we are. Thank you McDonalds for being open 24/7 and having milk when no other store was.

Now, about the recipe itself! East Asian deserts are a very interesting world to embark on. Unlike the USA, most East Asian treats I have had tend to be very subtle in their sweetness. For those of you who aren’t a fan of overly sweet baked goods, I would definitely recommend treats such as this! I found this recipe from a Korean YouTube video titled “How to turn milk into sweet and chewy snack in 3 minutes“, but I was mildly disappointed to find that it took a touch longer than 3 minutes to make, and figuring out the conversion from metric to freedom units was also a pain (I need to invest in a food scale). As I am still working on the exact conversion and will likely take a few more goes at this recipe, I have provided the original metric list of ingredients and will update this when I have a good conversion in cups for those of you who lack a food scale. Another difference that might have dictated why it took longer for my attempt to cook as well as the video is that I don’t have a gas stove in the dorm hall. So the type of stove you use may make a difference!

Ingredients

• 20g of Gluttonous Rice Flour (Mochiko)
  • 40g of Potato Starch
  • 3Tbs of Granulated Sugar
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 200ml of Milk

Directions

1. Pour dry ingredients in pan, then add milk.
  2. Combine ingredients with spatula over stove at low-medium heat.
  3. Continue to stir until a sticky ball is formed and leaving little to no remains on the pan.
  4. remove from heat and place rice cake on a plate.
  5. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
  6. Pull off portions and roll into balls.
  7. Place in fridge for 20 minutes.
  8. Enjoy!

By Ian Berendsen on February 26th, 2021

All media shown are created by Ian Berendsen and are property of Disaga Corp. Entertainment. Use without permission is prohibited.

8 thoughts on “Sweet Mini Rice Cake recipe”

1. First, the beginning of this was a nail-bitter. I was so worried you were not going to find any milk even though you had a picture of the food so you must have obviously gotten the milk. Either way, I was on the edge of my seat, I thank McDonalds for bringing us this great blog post. The recipe sounds awesome and I am going to be bookmarking this page to make them this Saturday when I have some friends over. Personally I am not a huge fan of overpowering sweets so I think this will be the perfect desert for me!

2. What a fun post! I thought it was funny hearing about your adventure to find milk for this recipe and I’m glad you found it haha! I like this recipe it seems pretty simple to make so overall nice post 🙂

3. Yo rice cakes are one of my favorite desserts growing up in an Asian American household. This hits home a ton and I think that this is a great recipe to share with us to diversify the recipes as well as our overall knowledge of food. Great recipe!

4. This post is your best one yet! The beginning was SO interesting and funny! You really did go above and beyond for this post, from searching for milk to doing all the conversions. Your hard work really paid off!

5. I was on the edge of my seat hoping you would find some milk because that was a whole journey. I really liked how you incorporated humor into your post because it makes it fun and interesting to read. I will share this recipe with my friends for sure!

6. I’m curious to see what these taste like from looking at the picture and the ingredient list. I am always willing to try different things from different places so I might just have to make these.