Life Experiences

Chelsea Cutler Concert: One Year Later

Remember back when life was normal? I remember sitting in the down under of the university center, doing homework in the booths when I got the email that said the university would extending our spring break by one week and they recommended everyone move out of the dorms. A day before I got that email I was at a Chelsea Cutler concert. It was surreal to go to a concert 24 hours before my life changed forever. I remember driving to the concert with my friends Rayna and Alyssa, talking about how my hometown, Fond du Lac Wisconsin, had seven cases of COVID-19. My dad messaged me and told me I probably shouldn’t go to the concert but there was nothing stopping me from getting there early so I could be as close as possible. I will never take for granted getting to see my favorite artist a day before the world stopped. This was my third time seeing her. The first time I saw her was at Summerfest with Quinn XCII and the second time I drove to Chicago and met her at an iheart radio interview. Here are some pictures and videos from the third time I saw her in concert:

I love the energy of this video! Hopefully one day we can all be in a big crowd loving life like this again, but for now, I’ll watch this video on repeat.
My friends Rayna, Alyssa, and I put text on a black Snapchat screen that said “You’re hot! Say hi!” while Alexander 23 was opening for Chelsea. Of course, he said hi to us while he was on stage! Who wouldn’t? 😉
This clip is from her song NJ. I had to shorten the clip so it fits in the blog – it really doesn’t do justice to how amazing this song is. I think her best quality is lyrics.

I don’t want to sound too cheesy but Chelsea Cutler’s music really got me through some hard times. If you’re ever looking for some good break-up song – she’s your girl. When it comes to music, my favorite part is always the lyrics. My favorite song of hers she has ever written is “Crazier Things.” Every word in that wong is written beautifully, from the first word to the last word. I highly recommend you go listen to it and really pay attention to what she’s saying. For the next sentence, I wanted to write something like “the lyric that stands out the most to me is…” but I literally can’t pick one. Listening to this song makes my chest warm and gives me goosebumps every time. This will probably be my favorite song for the rest of my life.

3 Comments

• Brooke Bescup

Hi Savannah! Great blog. One thing I noticed, and loved, right away about this post was your introduction. Your introduction definitely drew me in and made me want to read more, so that was great! Overall, the voice in your blog post is very clear and well thought out and writtten. It is honestly crazy to think back to last year when no masks, and covid wasn’t a thing.. That was literally a year ago today!! I loved reading about your experience and thoughts, great post!

• Adeline Edwards

Hi Savannah! It is so crazy to think back on a time where large groups were normal, fun, and safe. I was supposed to go to a concert in Madison with a lot of friends literally the day that the world shut down so I wasn’t able to go but it’s cool that you were able to sneak one more show in before the shutdown. I miss concerts a lot! Hopefully, there are more shows this summer that can be outside and safe. I really like Quinn XCII so it’s cool you were able to see him perform with her the first time you saw them. Great post!

• Lissie Eichel

Hi Savannah! I love this, isn’t it crazy to think that the world shut down and we thought it was all just a big joke. I am so jealous you got to see her three times, she is also one of my favorite artists. I also saw her at Summerfest with Quinn XCII. To this I still think that was one of my favorite concerts I have ever been to! But, if I could choose my top concert ever it would defenitly be LANY. Not sure if you have ever listened to their music but it is an indy pop kind of feel and it reminds me of her music. It makes me feel warm and gives me goosebumps like you described.