Reflection

Good and effective teaching occurs when a teacher knows the content and uses pedagogy. Good teaching reaches every student. This may be done through differentiation. My definition has changed since the first class by adding on these additional concepts to it. I now think about instructional methods depending on the topic and student-centered vs. teacher-centered classrooms along with strategies to reach all students. I am now aware of planning methods such as backward design. Effective teaching prepares students for their future endeavors. According to Fraser (2016) all teachers should “nurture the intellectual, physical, emotional, social and civic potential of each student” (p. 33).

This course has helped me prepare for many of the teacher standards related to licensure. One standard that stood out for me was number 7: Teachers are able to plan different kinds of lessons. I learned how to effectively use backward design to create a lesson plan that would use differentiation for students at different levels. This strategy would enable me to educate all students in the classroom. Through backward design I was also able to use a topic in the content area and fulfill curriculum goals by evaluating how I can meet those goals through figuring out what the desired outcomes would be. From there I designed a way to assess if the outcomes were achieved and then designed the lesson plan from those first two steps.

The most significant thing that I learned from this semester is learner development. In module two we discussed the developmental stages and developmental aspects that affect teaching in our face-to-face discussions. I found Bronfrenbrenner and the bioecological model informative before I started my O&P experience. Knowledge of this model will help me better understand the different factors that affect students and the learning in their schooling. According to Woolfolk (2014) “The social and educational programs, along with policies of governments, affect their lives. These contexts influence the development of behaviors” along with what they think is important and their understanding and awareness of the world (p. 86).

From this class I feel more informed and aware of my online digital identity. In order to prepare my online identity I will continue to write my blog and portfolio of work online, which will hopefully help me in the job market.

References

Fraser, James W. (2016). Teach: A Question of Teaching (2nd ed.). New York:           Routledge.

Woolfolk, A. E. (2014). Educational Psychology: Active Learning Edition (12th ed.).     Boston: Pearson.

One thought on “Reflection”

1. I also thought learner development was one of the most significant things I learned this semester! I agree that it is incredibly important in understanding our students better. I think we need to acknowledge the different stages that our students are at in order to better teach them. I’m glad you learned so much this semester!