Let’s meet Rebecca Sloan an RA on 5th floor Wells East. This is Rebecca’s 4 semester as an RA and she a Elementary Education major with an Adaptive Education minor

RebeccaSloan

Favorite Sport: Football

Favorite Sports team: Chicago Cubs

Favorite Band: The Decemberists

Favorite Dining Hall: Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!

Dream job: 1st Grade Teacher who

What I see myself doing in five years: Either teaching in Milwaukee or abroad.

Favorite Quote: “Act well your part, there all the honor lies.”

Why did you become an RA?: As an out-of-state student, Whitewater became my whole world my freshman year. I came here not knowing anyone but almost immediately was surrounded by amazing people. I became an RA because I wanted to help others have that experience.

What is your favorite thing about being an RA?: I love making connections with people who have different backgrounds and perspectives from my own. Without this job, I would have never met half of the most interesting people I know.

What else are you involved in?: NRHH, Kappa Delta Pi, and I work at the UW-Whitewater Children’s Center.

Piece of advice for other RA’s: Take time for yourself. In this job, I know people (myself included) feel obligated to do everything possible to make life easy for our residents and our staff members. We say “yes” to everything and take on every challenge presented to us. Learning to say no, leaving my building, and simply existing for my own sake has been one of the most important things I’ve learned to do.

Best story so far: My birthday is in September and, as a result, the rush of the school year starting/meeting new folks means that it sometimes gets forgotten in the shuffle. During my first semester as an RA, I was extra bummed out by this because I was unable to head home to celebrate with family. Just before midnight leading into my birthday, I heard a lot of loud voices coming from just outside my door. I opened it to find all of my wing, holding balloons, cupcakes, and a card that they had passed around for me. At midnight, they sang to me and we passed the treats around. Definitely a birthday to remember!