Brittania Schreurs is the first floor Bigelow RA. She is a 5th semester RA and is a senior with a Social Work major. 

Radical RA Picture

Favorite Sport:  Golf  
Favorite Sports team:  Chicago Blackhawks  
Favorite Dining Hall:  Ike Schaffer Commons

Dream job:  My dream job is to work in some realm of student affairs.  
What I see myself doing in five years:  In five years, I see myself graduated with a masters degree and working at a university in some sort of student affairs related position.  
Favorite Quote:  “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” 
Why did you become an RA?:  I became an RA because of the positive influence the RAs in my complex had on me my first year at UWW.  I also became an RA because I fell in love with LIT and wanted to expand on those experiences.    

What is your favorite thing about being an RA?:  One of my favorite things about being an RA is realizing that it’s not always about the way you impact your residents, but it is also about the way your residents impact you.  The interactions with my residents have impacted me in such a positive way that I’ve realized that I want to make a career out of working with college students. 

What else are you involved in?:  Currently, I am a member of NRHH, a Project ASSIST tutor for CSD, and a representative for ARA.

Piece of advice for other RA’s:  Don’t nag your residents to go to your events.  They respect you much more when you accept no as an answer.  Too often I see RAs play 20 questions with their residents after the resident says they can’t go to something.  “Why can’t you go?”  “What are you doing instead?”  “Can’t you do that later?”  “Can you come for just a little bit?”  “Can’t you bring your friend with?”  “Can’t you make that phone call later?”  “Don’t you want to take a break from your homework?”  That gets annoying really fast for the residents.  

Best story so far
:  One time I had three residents come running to me, 2 females and 1 male, because the male resident had just gotten his tooth knocked out playing tennis.  In a panic, one of the females made the male show me the tooth and then asked me what they were supposed to do.  They wanted to know if they needed to put the tooth in milk to preserve it.  To that I replied, “Umm…go to the dentist???”.  The residents informed me that since it was the weekend the male was not going to be able to make a dentist appointment.  Not knowing what to do, I sent them off with the contact information for Fort Atkinson Hospital.

Anything else?
:  Shout out to all my former and current residence life position supervisors:  Tim Moffett, Whitney Supianoski, Amy Sylvester, and Manda Krier-Jenkins!  You all have had a huge impact on my growth and success as an undergraduate student!  I truly couldn’t have done it without all of you!