Digital Nativism

May 6th, 2018

Digital nativism can be defined in a variety of ways, the most simple probably being those of us that have grown up in the digital society that we are currently living in. Those that did not, such as our grandparents and even partially our parents, Marc Prensky defined as, “pre-iPod humans or digital immigrants.” Although these definitions are not the most conscientious, he is not far from the truth. Those of us that are younger have a leg up on those that are older. With the advancements in technology, we are more easily able to adapt than our seniors. Once those that are 40 and over retire, I think that the workplace is going to be far more vast and different than it even is right now.

Prensky did not necessarily view his research from an unbiased stand, which is pretty clear from the vast amount of counterarguments.The one that I found the most interesting was the linking of Dr. Perry’s research and discoveries to that of his own claims. Although I have no research to back it up, I would not be surprised if our brains are different than our parents. Our thinking is clearly different, and for the most part, we are able to seamlessly adapt to the many technological changes that have come our way so far. Stereotypes are not always completely truthful, but that does not mean that there isn’t any truth to them. I think that age groups can be split up and examined differently; middle schoolers today were exposed to technology even sooner than current college students are, making me think that there very well could be significant differences between even our brains and ways of thinking.

Overall, Prensky’s article grouped vast majorities together that did not necessarily work. However, I think that he was on the right track with his thinking. For now, I don’t think that enough research has been conducted to support his claims. But in the future, I think that some will prove his opinions (for his lack of research ultimately makes his article opinion based), and this article will not be seen from such a negative light afterward. These “simple groupings” that he wrote about will be able to be expanded upon, making them more complex and reliable. I think that a better and more appropriate article can be written backing up Prensky’s claims. But until then, we will have to do our own research to support what it’s like to be a digital native, and how it truly affects us.