Uncategorized

Fishing the Sea

Right off the bat– I’m certainly no expert when it comes to fishing saltwater; however, I did go with my brother-in-law’s dad, Mark, about a half-mile out off the fisherman’s wharf in San Francisco a couple years back. The experience was incredible–more than I had expected. Initially the plan was that we were going to be taking a friend of Mark’s fishing boat. Long story short, we ended up renting a small aluminum fishing boat with a 6 horsepower outboard on the back. As we were heading out to drop some lines in the water, a pod of dolphins came real close and started swimming with us. I had never been so close to marine life before. Anyways, when we finally picked a spot to try our luck, we dropped lines rigged with multiple jigs all at different depths. Almost immediately we began catching mackerel and other small bait fish. It was one of my favorite fishing expeditions because it was all so new to me, and even just the sight of the bait fish we were catching were beautiful. Sometimes we’d pull up more than one at a time! For anyone whoever gets the chance to fish the ocean, I highly recommend it.

Types of Mackerel in North America
Saltwater Rigging Basics | New Hampshire Saltwater Fishing Regulations &  Seasons – 2021 | eRegulations

One Comment

• Mike Marron

Fishing in salt water would be very interesting to me. It has something I have never done but I would be a fan of as long as I was on the right boat. That sounds like it was a really fun trip for you.