Hallmark scheme or genuine gesture?

It seems like you either love or hate Valentine’s Day. Many people in my life seem to find this day as a hallmark scheme which maybe they are right about that. As a hopeless romantic in college with realistic expectations I never expect something for Valentine’s day. However, there is something about going to the store during Valentine’s Day weekend and seeing people buy flowers and chocolates for the person or people they love.

Everyone has a different love language. Mine happens to be giving gifts. Throughout the year I like giving little gifts to my boyfriend of 2 years. I’ll surprise him with his favorite drinks or if I see something that I think he’ll like I will get it for him. I never expect anything back, I love making the other person know you were thinking about them and how you care about them.

https://www.verywellmind.com/receiving-gifts-love-language-4783665

Valentine’s Day may be for businesses to gain money but when you go that little extra step to make your significant feel special, I feel the business aspect isn’t as important anymore. Everyone has their own feelings towards Valentine’s Day and those are completely valid. However, I feel when you are in a relationship with someone you love, you should acknowledge your appreciation towards them on Valentine’s Day even if it’s spending quality time with each other while watching their favorite movie.

Flowers I received this year 🙂

Valentine’s Day gift I gave my boyfriend last year. The budget for this gift idea can be whatever you want to make it out to be! The card says, “life with you makes perfect sense!” The gifts involving the 5 senses. Taste can be something as small as gum they like the most or their favorite candy bar. The candy balloon gift to the right of this picture cost about 5 dollars to make! I went to the dollar store to find the supplies. After the balloon, fake roses and candy bars I found a foam box to tape or glue the candy bars to and then stuck the stems of the fake roses into the foam! Super easy to make and he loved it!

At the end of the day we all want to feel appreciated. Yes, I believe gestures should be made no matter what day it is but especially on Valentines day they should feel maybe just a little bit more special than any other ‘normal’ day.