Leading by Example: UW-Whitewater Baseball Captain’s Journey

When you love something, you stop at nothing to achieve it. This is true for UW-Whitewater senior Bennett Frazer, who is captain of the university’s varsity baseball team. Frazer has been captain of the team for two years now, but he had to earn that title through hard work and dedication over the past few years. 

Frazer began his college career at Bradley University, on the Division I baseball team. Although he enjoyed his time there, Frazer made the decision to transfer to UW-Whitewater after his sophomore year. Many of his friends played on the Whitewater team and after touring the facilities, he was on board. 

Leaving behind his teammates and award-winning program was difficult, but Frazer traded it in for the ability to play the game he loved, with people he loved. 

“I got 35 new best friends that I get to spend everyday with. It’s just having that brotherhood on the field and then seeing them around campus as well,” Frazer says.

After joining the team his junior year, Frazer made a great impact. That year, he started in 37 of 39 games, finished with a .344 batting average and had 31 runs scored. Within the two years to follow, he’s only gotten better. However, the biggest impact he made has been on his teammates. 

“This is my second year as a captain. My journey has been ‘doing the right thing at the right time, all the time’ and trying to keep that mindset. If you do that over and over again, I think that your teammates will look up to you. That’s why I was voted a captain the last two years,” Frazer comments. 

This coming season Frazer is looking forward to having another shot at the National Championship. He is graduating in May and is hoping to have an explosive final season. After graduation, Frazer will be working in medical sales and believes that the disciplines he has learned from being a student-athlete will translate outside of the university. 

“If you want something, you’ll make time for it. Being a captain, I’ve learned that lesson. There is a certain amount of discipline you’ve got to have to play the game, and I think I’ve developed that over the years.”

Frazer feels very grateful for the opportunities he’s been given to play the sport that he loves. Over the past four years, he has achieved his goals of becoming a leader and an amazing player. His final goal is to win the National Championship and will be doing everything in his power to do so.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments