The Future of News Consumption

My online news consumption habits are fairly limited, but there are certain platforms that serve as news outlets. In the digital age, everything is readily available at the click of a button. This means that news and misinformation spread very quickly. To confirm that the news I read or watch is accurate, I often look towards a verified account or person discussing the issue. This type of “social chatroom” is an expanded version of texting your friend and asking if they saw what was on television. Now, these “texts” are being sent towards whoever would like to be a part of the conversation.

The news outlet I choose often depends on what level of coverage the story warrants. For example, if the story is nation-wide, I may turn on the television and listen to the news anchors explain the situation. I may also investigate further through their online websites. This goes the same for local news, as there is very little coverage on these stories, besides our local news channel. However, when it comes to moderately covered news, I would not bother turning on the television at all. I may use a search engine, such as Google or Safari, to understand what’s happening. When the results show up, I look for a verified news source, such as CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times, etc. If the story peaks my interest, I will join the social conversation by opening social media apps such as Instagram and TikTok

When I open these platforms, I often look for videos that further explain the situation from an unbiased point of view. From there, I will read the comments and figure out what the social opinion on the matter is. This is never unanimous, and people will always disagree. However, this helps me further formulate my own opinion. When I have an opinion, I may decide to text my friends and family a link with my thoughts, but I have never directly interacted with news postings online. I do not feel the need for everyone to hear my opinion, but I enjoy involving the news in conversations between my friends/family and myself. 

There are many times when I stumble across news while scrolling on a social media platform. This is very easy to do on TikTok, as most of the app consists of people making videos, sharing their opinion. This also happens on Instagram because many people I follow “repost” information posted by verified news accounts. When a verified source posts about a story or event, I consider it safe to believe and share with others. I have never come across an error in the news I’ve paid attention to, but this may also be due to my limited usage. 

Of all the news channels discussed above, my favorite way of receiving news is through social media. I completely understand that this is not the most reliable way of learning about news, but being part of a conversation that is happening now builds a sense of community. When I watch the news or read an article, it can feel very one-sided. I often feel like the author or anchor is talking at me rather than to me. This is the opposite regarding social media, as everyone is invited to comment, share, and respond to a video. There will always be a danger of misinformation, but as long as people can remember “not everything you see online is true,” it works just fine.  

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments