Four-Layer Pumpkin Torte Recipe

Attention all pumpkin lovers: you will definitely want to try out this delicious, layered torte recipe for yourselves! I am a big fan of pumpkin pie (I wish it was easy to get year-round!) and I think this recipe is a refreshing take on the classic taste of pumpkin pie. This pumpkin torte is fluffy, creamy, sweet, and it’s a perfect dessert for fall!

To the left, you can see a slice of the finished torte. You should be able to see four distinct layers with this dessert, but don’t be upset if the layers run together a little, it will still taste good 😉

To start this recipe, you need to make the crust. This crust is fairly simple. All you have to do is blend together 2 cups of crushed graham crackers, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 3/4 cup of melted butter. The mixture should be damp enough to stick to itself (kind of like kinetic sand).

Once the crust mixture is ready, spread and flatten it into the bottom of a 9″x13″ pan (I prefer to use a glass pan to see the layers forming). After the crust is in place, you can start the second layer of the torte. For this layer, use a whisk to blend together 2 eggs, 3/4 cup of sugar, and 8 ounces of cream cheese (usually one package). You will want to blend these ingredients together until it’s mostly creamy. It’s okay if there are some chunks of cream cheese. When this mixture is ready, pour it over the graham cracker crust and bake the dish at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.

To the right you can see what the second layer should look like when it has finished baking. The first two layers need to cool while you make the third layer, so place the dish in your refrigerator before continuing.

Before beginning the third layer, separate 3 egg yolks from 3 egg whites for later. Then, in a large pot, combine 15 ounces of pumpkin (1 can), 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Cook this mixture (while constantly stirring) over medium-low heat for 7-8 minutes, or until it seems fairly thickened. Then set this mixture aside to cool as well.

While the pumpkin mixture cools, dissolve 1 envelope of powdered, unflavored gelatin (I use Knox) into 1/4 cup of cold water. Stir the mixture as you pour the powder in, then let it sit for 4-5 minutes to finish dissolving. The mixture should thicken/harden, and when it has, you can add it into the pumpkin mixture. Set this mixture off to the side again to let it continue cooling down.

Before the third layer is ready, you have to use the egg whites from earlier. To make the third layer fluffy, the egg whites need to be whipped into stiff peaks. To do this, put the 3 egg whites into a mixing bowl and whisk them at a high speed until they form peaks that hold their shape. Once stiff, sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar onto the egg whites and beat them again, at medium-low speed, until the sugar is incorporated. To the left, you can see how much the egg whites should hold their shape.

Once the egg whites are nice and stiff, and once the pumpkin mixture has cooled, you can finish making the third layer of this torte. Gently, and slowly, fold the egg white mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Try to knock out as little air as possible; we want this to be a fluffy layer! After the mixture is ready, pour it onto the cooled first and second layers, spreading it evenly. Put the torte back into the refrigerator to let the third layer set before adding the fourth, and final, layer! Below you can see how fluffy the third layer is (it holds its shape).

The final layer is the easiest of all (thank goodness, right?). All you need to complete this delicious torte is 1 package (8 ounces) of Cool Whip (or your favorite type of whipped topping). When the third layer has set, spread the whipped topping on the top and even it all out. Then, you’re finally done! Now you get to enjoy a delicious pan of pumpkin torte.

This recipe can be a bit time consuming, since you have to chill between layers, but it is well worth it. I have loved this dessert ever since I was a little kid, and I love making it for my family when fall rolls around.

I hope this recipe has peaked your interest enough to give it a try! Thanks for reading!

2 thoughts on “Four-Layer Pumpkin Torte Recipe

1. This recipe looks delicious! I love pumpkin flavored treats during fall, but I’ve never had a pumpkin torte before. I like the idea of it, it adds another dimension to the traditional pumpkin pie that we all love. I have an edible pumpkin that I picked out while getting carving pumpkins this fall, and I must just have to give this a try. Thanks for the information!

2. This recipe looks so good. Pumpkin flavored items are perfect for the fall and this recipe makes me want to try my hand at baking. I do not normally spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I am not a very good cook but your post made me feel like I would be able to successfully make this recipe. Thanks for the recipe.