If you’re anything like me, you want the best of both worlds. By this I mean that you want to be both cozy in your own personal space, but also you want to be able to do work and feel that you are able to focus and conduct business. Both of these elements are important to me, and I know I can’t be the only one.

With all of this being said, it’s sometimes easier said than done. Wanting to be comfortable in a place that you spend an ample amount of time is a good idea. You want to be able to relax and have a place to retreat after a long day. But, seeing as often times, especially college kids, are confined to a small(er) amount of space, we have to make the space work for us in multiple ways.

The space that most of us can most customize is our own rooms. It’s our own personal space that it not shared. There are certain items and pieces of furniture that I’ve found work best to balance the two atheistic.

Functional:

A desk- you need a place to do your homework or any kind of work. DO NOT do your homework or work in your bed. This will likely cause stress, and it makes it more likely you will dose off while trying to do the things you need to get done.

A calendar- calendars are important to stay on schedule. Not knowing what day it is or how far away that one looming deadline is in reality isn’t really an option while being a student or a professional. You can always get decorative or cool calendars. I hang mine up with my schedule on a cork board, but flat lying desk calendars are a good way to fit it in there as well!

A supply holder- You can’t feel organized or relaxed if you have pens, pencils, tacks or anything just laying around your room! Get an organizer and feel more put together. Everything should have a place.

images-1

Cozy:

A Bed/Futon- a place to rest is an important element of creating a cozy environment for yourself. It all depends on your preferences. Some people prefer a bed, some people prefer a futon or a chair of some sort. I personally have both in my room, because it’s big enough to fit *This makes it a great gathering spot, as well (when I want it to be)*

A diffusor- an essential oil diffuser can really transform your space. There are tons of cool and decorative diffusors all over the market. I personally stick to my little egg shaped one because it changes colors and adds to the mood.

Candles- Who doesn’t love a good candle lit evening

Pillows- Such a small detail can make all the difference! Pillows can make a space more inviting and add a more cozy feel while serving a purpose.

59963ecf6ef941163003cf1a27389f94--cozy-nook-cozy-corner-2