Cooking for One- Caprese Dinner Salad

I’m back again to give you another recipe to add to your cookbook! Now, I am not the biggest fan of salads because quite honestly they don’t fill me up, but I am a huge fan of this one. I found many recipes online for a caprese dinner salad, and made some changes of my own. Here’s an image of the one i’ll be giving you the recipe for, the only exception is add chicken:

DSC_0182_thumb5

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 Chicken breast
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Mozzarella
  • Basil
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Olive oil

This recipe is extremely easy to make, which is why it’s one of my favorites. Here’s what you’ll need to do:

1. Defrost chicken breast, then marinate in balsamic vinegar for about an hour

2. Cook chicken for 30 minutes (or until fully cooked)

3. Put spinach on plate (I think spinach tastes the best, but you can really use whatever you’d like)

4. Cut tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil into bite size pieces, and place on spinach

5. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place on salad

6. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

7. Serve

Easy enough! You can really make this salad with or without chicken, however, I like to add the chicken because it helps fill me up more, and I believe it just makes the salad better. The trick with this recipe is to not drown the salad in the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, because then it defeats the purpose of it being healthy. You really don’t need that much dressing because all the other ingredients have a lot of flavor. Again, this is a low calories meal with easy steps and not too many ingredients which is why it is perfect for a college student on a budget.

Happy Eating,

Anne