The Truth Behind the Whole 30

It’s no surprise to most that people on college campus’ everywhere go to extreme lengths to get skinny, or stay in shape. A popular diet I have seen many college students try is the Whole 30. This diet prides itself in allowing you to eat real food for the duration of the 30 days. Except does it really?  You are not allowed to eat dairy, sugar, grains, soy, and of course, absolutely no alcohol. To help you understand the magnitude of what you’re giving up, here are foods you are not allowed to eat while doing the Whole 30: peanut butter, soy sauce, corn, rice, beans, cheese, milk, fruits that are high in sugar. Just from reading the endless list of what you can’t eat, I am already convinced this is a diet that I do not want to participate in. But, if you need more convincing, here’s the most important piece of information: this diet has been ranked as the worst diet of the year two years in a row. Nutritionists have admitted that the Whole 30 will in fact help you lose weight during the 30 days. However, once you add back all those food groups, the chances of keeping the weight off are extremely slim. It has also been found that once off the Whole 30, people are more likely to binge on the foods they couldn’t eat because they have been craving them.

Whole-30-Food-List

So, you’re telling me, I’m not allowed to eat any of the foods I want, and the diet isn’t even going to be effective in the long run? No thank you. I’ll stick to hitting the gym, eating in moderation, and calorie counting.

Happy Eating,

Anne